Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Why I'm Weird

Ninme "suggested" that I join in the latest meme and post five reasons why I'm weird. CDR Salamander got his homework done already, so I'd better get cracking.

You're apparently allowed to specify the standard your comparing yourself against to determine "weirdness", so I'm choosing my fellow Idahoans as the control group.

1) I don't like winter outdoor activities. The major goal of the human race throughout recorded history has been to protect themselves from the elements; I figure, why would anyone want to intentionally go out in the snow if they don't have to? It seems like a good way to get cold, hurt, or both.

2) I think California is a great place to live. There have been lots of people moving to Idaho from California, and even more native Idahoans who resent them. Seeing someone come in, buy a really nice house with cash from the sale of their old home, and start to complain about how primitive everything is really torques off the locals. I didn't own a home in California, so I'm paying a mortgage like everyone else, but the fact that I don't put California down at every opportunity makes me unusual here.

3) I recognize that Boise State football isn't a major program. When BSU went undefeated in the regular season last year, the locals thought the Broncos could challenge for the national championship this year. I recognized that while BSU's first team could hold their own, depth would become an issue in any game between BSU and a real team, and Boise St. would get their butts handed to them. Even though I was right, people still thought I was weird.

4) I think it's funny when people call tater tots "tots". Just "tots". They really do. It's hilarious, but my fellow Idahoans don't see that it is.

5) I don't think traffic here is really bad. This is kind of goes along with 2) above; everyone blames the "bad" traffic on the influx of Californians, but it's really not bad at all -- they've never tried to drive to LAX during afternoon "rush" hour. One of the main things that slows traffic down is that people will get in the proper lane up to a mile before they have to; there's one section where I-84 goes from 4 lanes eastbound to two, and the left two lanes (which will disappear in a mile or so) will be empty while everyone else is stop-and-go in the right two lanes. They get really mad when some Californian takes the empty lane all the way to the merge point...

There, my homework is done. While I normally don't assign memes to others, I'd actually be interested to see how WillyShake would answer this one.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being from the "Bay Area" aka San Francisco Bay Area, or Silicon Valley, I have known and actually seen the "wierd" and yet thought provoking of the human species.

1) "Bay Area(ns)" recognize that 1 degree minus 53 degrees would be "freezing" to them.

2) Bay Area(ns) think snow is a novelty.

3) Tornados come around once in 50 years or so. Yes, there was a tornado that touched down in a town (it was an F-0) and scared
some of the "new" residents back to where they first originated (rumor has it)

4) When it rains, expect power outages and floods.

5) A "Bad Air Day" means bad air, not hair.

Yup. BTW, good job bubblehead. A+

1/08/2006 12:52 AM

 
Blogger Zoe Brain said...

And here's a weird Black Project from the 70's.

A revival of the old Japanese I-400 idea, but with a twist.

1/08/2006 4:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visiting from Winnetka, CA in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles County, I had a wonderful experience in Coeur d'Alene a few summers ago. A friend of mine recently sold his Canoga Park, CA house and paid in full for a home in Boise, ID with plenty of cash left over.

LA is destined to be in the top 10 2006 destinations for tourists in the world. Come by for a visit!

1/08/2006 9:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is Idaho again? I think I missed that geography lesson. (j/k)

1/09/2006 11:26 AM

 
Blogger WillyShake said...

Aye, aye, sirrrr! *saying the word "sir" in that derogatory tone that every enlisted man master's before he makes E-3*

LOL. I could say that my responses won't be as good as yours--but that would be sorta insulting ya as weirder than me, eh?

1/10/2006 7:01 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Or the sarcastic edge they'd add to "Mister"...

1/11/2006 12:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home