Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Russians Are... On Our Sub

A four ship Russian Navy "Task Force" is in Guam, where they'll be doing a "bilateral humanitarian assistance and disaster relief" PASSEX with two U.S. cruisers, USS Cowpens (CG 63) and USS Chosin (CG 65). While they're in Guam, the Russian Admiral commanding the group (which is made up of the destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov; the tank landing ship BDK-11; the oiler Pechenga; and the tug SB-522) took the time to visit USS City of Corpus Christi (SSN 705). This story was of special interest to me because the COCC's CO used to be my CO when I was Eng on the Jimmy Carter. It's been about three years since I've seen him, and as much as I hate to say it, he looks a lot older. This scares me, because through a unique set of circumstances, I'm actually older than he is. I'm hoping that I don't look a whole lot older than I did back then, but when I consider that I haven't had the day-to-day pressure of commanding a sub for the last 2+ years, I guess I don't have a reason to have aged that much.

Luckily, I don't think Captain Denno can go back and retroactively give me a crappier Fitrep for that comment... I hope.

Update 1352 01 April: Here's a photo of USS Chosin steaming in formation with a Russian Udaloy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I have lived to see a time when the Pacific Fleet Vice Admiral of the Russian Fleet has taken a tour of a 688 with his ontourage....Some of us understand what just the type of visual intelligence can be derived and turned over to an engineer geek. They have toured damn near every command here. He comes bearing gifts, food and vodka, hehe...and received more plaques than he can insulate his walls at home with.
Rumor has it, and no numbers identified with the crazy numbers of shoplifters at a local NEX this week. We'll see how they deal with that.
Other than keeping NEX security busy, seems like they had a nice tour of lovely Guam.

3/30/2006 3:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had some ChiCom admiral come down and visit Oly in '87 or '88. (Or was it '86? It was while we were at Pearl, anyway.)


RM1(SS) (ret)

3/30/2006 5:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so where do you sub guys hide the starch whites when on patrol?
I mean quarters are really cramped, it seems a bit of a waste of space to put all the possible uniforms in a seabag somewhere.
Do subs have a supply dept that presses whites and khakis?

3/31/2006 5:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home