Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

USS Columbus CO Relieved

According to the usually reliable Military Life blog at The Kitsap Sun, the CO of USS Columbus (SSN 762) was relieved of command recently due to concerns about his "ability to establish and maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct, provide the crew a safe, positive, professional environment in which to work, and maintain good order and discipline." (The blog post seems to have the same information as the article on the regular website, which requires a really annoying registration procedure to access.) CDR Charles Marquez, the former 762 CO, was reportedly replaced by Capt. Brian McIlvaine, who was my first XO on USS Connecticut (SSN 22) and later CO of USS Ohio.

My previous posts on the hazing allegations that presumably led to this action can be found here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Update 0636 14 June: More from the Seattle P-I here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See that you're celebrating Christmas in June! ;-D (side bar)

6/14/2006 1:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that ain't good. I am sure Brian has his hands full with this one. The joys of being a deputy...I am assuming that one of the recent PCO grads will ultimately take command (a class just completed last month). Shipyards are never fun, but I suspect this goes deeper than just being in a shipyard...

6/14/2006 5:13 AM

 
Blogger Trickish Knave said...

I can think of a few more CO's who need to be relieved for a lot less than just being in charge when some shitbirds decided to haze a kid, in the way they chose, that has nothing to do with maintaining good order and discipline.

MT1, command climate has everything to do with it, as you pointed out. I was on the L.A. from 88-92 when we had our core change outin Mare Island and it sucked and the command did nothing to improve the QOL. By a stoke of mishcievious ironiy I was sent back to the L.A. after my shore duty tour. The last 2 years (1999-2001) were horrible- suicide of an EM1 which resulted in the dismissal of our CO, 30+ Captain's Masts in 3 months, people going to mental health on a routine basis. Our EDMC went AWOL when we pulled into San Diego and that left only 5 chiefs in the goat locker. Believe me when i tell you that I understand the definition of command climate. I also walked 15 miles to the boat everyday, up hill, with an 80 lb pack on my back.

Point being, I'm glad that CO's are finally held to standards when they turn their boat into a dismal black hole of emotional hopelessness.

6/14/2006 4:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That boat has been a hell hole for a long long time. I rode for quals a few years back and it sucked back then too. Most disgruntled (and therefore mean/indifferent) group of JOs I've worked with out of the three crews I've seen. (It might have been the NUB factor too in all fairness.)

They never recovered from going bump many moons ago. Strange thing is the previous two COs were pretty good guys.

6/14/2006 10:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am way outside the loop looking in, with only the media reports and what I read on postings like this, but it sounds like there was a comand climate problem before CDR Marquez got there (alleged hazing began in Jan 2005, he took command in Feb 2005). I would hope that the NCIS investigation net and Navy accountablity (with potential repercussions)will include everyone involved and responsible before Feb 2005, not just the ones left holding the bag.
RBP

6/16/2006 5:10 AM

 
Blogger maggi said...

Hi
I have said,the stupid shall be punished.It was reported yesterday that the "adventurer"steve fosset is missing in Nevada.I sure hope they find him soon. I also hope next time he flies he is smart enough to file flight plan!all kinds of high-risk activities,practice a little risk management.make sure there is air in your scuba.
======================================
Maggi
Idaho Drug Treatment

8/18/2008 1:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home