Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, October 13, 2006

Another Topeka Guy Makes Good

Last year, I discussed what happened to the group of JOs I served with on USS Topeka (SSN 754) in the early 90s. I went to one's Change of Command ceremony this summer; now, a second one has taken command of his own submarine -- USS Cheyenne (SSN 773). Congratulations, Captain Tesar!

And for you Cheyenne crewman who want to get on your CO's good side -- ask him how the dried minnows taste in Korea.

4 Comments:

Blogger bothenook said...

you know, it has always amazed me how those that attain lofty positions usually, and i emphasize usually, have some really juicy stuff in their closet. i know of at least one admiral, now retired, that was a raging puritan. i also remember rolling him over so he didn't drown in his own puke after a very long night of steaming with the boys.
moral of the story: either live a spotless life, or kill everyone that knew you when you were young. or get a grip, and revel in the memories of a mispent youth. i choose the last one. there is no way i could ever run for a political office. too many witnesses. as a matter of fact, i think i saw a picture taken in the Horse and Cow, circa mid-late 70's, with me and a now retired master chief on the bar, doing the dance of the flaming assholes. like i said, too many witnesses

10/13/2006 8:45 AM

 
Blogger Chap said...

What truly amazes me is that you've got so many shipmates still in. There is no other from my JO tour who stayed past their initial obligation--except one guy who left shortly after that CO arrived, and one guy who went medical corps.

How did He Who Shall Not Be Named manage to keep from driving all those guys out of the service?

10/14/2006 8:54 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Did someone say USS Topeka? I inherited that fine ship from you and your group of great guys. I think I have some of your quotes from the quote log... yep, those are bloggable. And I heard many a sea story about He Who Shall Not Be Named.

10/14/2006 10:07 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Welcome, Dan! I think He Who Shall Not Be Named contributed to retention because guys had to take shore duty to get off the boat as quickly as you could. Additionally, we knew that we'd never have it worse than with the Jabberwock, so our careers would all be downhill from there...

10/15/2006 12:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home