Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

"Artist" Arrested For Vandalizing Groton Sub Sign

A New London "artist" was arrested for the anti-war vandalism of the "Submarine Capital of the World" sign that welcomes visitors to Groton. In this article, "Mac" Love tries to offer something of an explanation:
"I'm afraid right now I'm not at liberty to discuss the entire case. I do just want to tell the people of Groton and the submarine community that I'm sorry and I wanted to apologize and I want to say I'm sorry that my message was misunderstood."
But what was that message? William MacDonald Love, known as Mac, is an artist in residence at New London's Hygienic Art Gallery. He says he cannot discuss details now, but he did give some insight into what was not his intention.
Love says,"It was not a politically motivated message at all and it was never meant to insult it or disrespect them in any way. I never really meant that at all."
Love hinted at what he was thinking when he poured the paint on the sign. He told us to think Yellow Submarine-apparently referencing the Beatles song about friends and neighbors living under the sea in a life of ease with all they need. Love is now charged with criminal mischief and breach of peace.
"I do have peaceful intentions always in everything and the peaceful intentions were in that too," says Love.
I'm betting illicit pharmaceuticals were somehow involved in the evolution of Love's philosophy. And what the hell is "hygienic art" anyway?

2 Comments:

Blogger Subvet said...

I'm suprised a subsailor would be unfamiliar with the "hygenic art" comment. The Hygenic Restaurant was a dive on Bank St. in New London that closed in the late 70's-early 80's. Although that was it's name the "Hygenic" was a pigsty. It was famous as a true ptomaine domain where all the hookers, pimps, druggies, drunks, and other local denizens hung out. Only other claim to fame was it's art show that was held once a year.

The art show was about what you might expect. You could literally crap on a plate and exhibit it. Anything went. After the restaurant closed down the art show continued. When I left New London eight years ago it had established itself as a permanent event/ordeal, depending on your taste.

According to a former TMC I spoke to a few years back, the whole area has really dropped into the toilet (it must have been a short drop). At a guess, the art show has morphed into an actual art gallery. If so, this nut case would be typical. And yeah, cheap pharmaceuticals of an illicit nature are probably a major part of his life.

10/25/2006 3:07 AM

 
Blogger Subvet said...

Looking at my first post I see I should have edited it. My first sentence should be,"I'm suprised a subsailor who spent any time in the Groton area would be unfamiliar with the "hygenic art" comment.

As it currently reads it sounds like I was questioning your qualifications. I wasn't.

10/25/2006 3:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home