Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Strange Way To Find Out About Breaking News

So I'm checking my referrers log, and I found that in the space of 13 minutes, I'd gotten 12 hits from all over North America from people searching for "Bob Vern". There's nothing about "Bob Vern" on Google News, or even on some of the more active message boards. I found out I was fairly high up on the Google Search for "Bob Vern" because of a comment someone made in a post back in 2005. It gets me to wondering -- are they searching for information on Bob Vern the actor? Did something happen to him? Should I go out and buy the URL "bobvern.com" just in case it's about to become a household name? I guess I'll have to find out in the morning.

Update 2313 22 Jan: It turns out that all the simultaneous searching was generated by a card at the end of that night's episode of "Grey's Anatomy" saying "In memory of Bob Vern", who was the father of one of the screenwriters. She discusses it here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

attn - BubbleHead

i'd be too long winded explaining on your weblogs comment section why you ranked so high on the Google Bob Vern search [this type of fluke is a relatively common occurence]

in any event, please don't waste your time(money) buyin' the URL

~ theDdoubleSstandard

1/19/2007 4:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Iran, China Intent on Countering Navies, U.S. and Israeli Ships Targeted, Hezbollah Successfully Strikes with Iranian Missile" ~ http://www.jinsa.org/articles/articles.html/function/view/categoryid/164/documentid/3652/history/3,2360,656,164,3652

~ duhDdoubleSstandard

1/19/2007 5:34 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

tdDsS: I understand how Google works; that was not the point of the post. The point (other than "I'm tired and need something to post about so I can go to bed") was that a relatively large number of people were searching for an obscure topic at the same time for no apparent reason.
Since you're since an expert on how the 'net works, you should really start your own blog. Seriously. I'd even give you a permalink.

1/19/2007 10:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Vern was the name mentioned at the end of Grey's Anatomy. "In memory of Bob Vern"...Just thought I'd relieve some of your curiousity.

1/22/2007 12:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home