Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Sunday, February 25, 2007

SoCal Vacation Lessons Learned

As promised, if you click the "read more" you'll get my lessons learnt from our recent vacation:

1. Taking a family trip to San Diego and L.A. was a way better idea than my initial plans on how to spend my vacation. My ideas included:

a) Live-blogging my naps.
b) Wandering around town making fun of people who still believe that professional boxing is a real sport.
c) Coming up with a Mock Fantasy Draft for the family Fantasy Football League.
2. The vacation was successful because I got to go on my two favorite rides at Disneyland:

a) The Tram Ride:

b) The Alameda Police Golf Cart ride:

3. If your son watches The Colbert Report, he'll probably want to get pictures taken with celebrities:

I have no idea what the "thumbs up" means, but I'm sure it's obscene.

4. The new Submarine Ride at Disneyland isn't open yet...

...but it's a great place for bloggers with a nom de blog like "Bubblehead" to get their picture taken:

5. Universal Studios Theme Park in Hollywood is a good place to spend one day, but I have no idea what anyone would do there on the 2nd day of a visit. On a related note, the MWR in San Diego only sells two-day tickets.

6. Traffic in L.A. totally blows. We left Universal Studios at 5 p.m., and had gotten only 8 miles down the 101 during the next hour. The next 8 miles took a half hour, and we covered another 8 miles in the subsequent 15 minutes. After that (at 6:45 p.m.), traffic opened up a little, so we did about 50 mph until we got almost to Camp Pendleton.

7. I'll probably come up with more later, but now it's time to go watch the Oscars.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubblehead,

You are correct; LA traffic does blow.

However, as a former resident, I would have counseled you to stay in the valley after your visit to Universal City. Find a nice place for dinner on Ventura Blvd, and avoid the Hollywood freeway south until late in the evening.

2/25/2007 7:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MWR - MONEY, Wrong or Right.

2/26/2007 3:45 AM

 
Blogger Fred said...

Hey, at least you guys HAVE that MWR thing. And an NEX that's actually worth going to.

...And the ships that were tied up in Norfolk when I went probably represent 150% of our entire fleet...

Sounds like you guys had a good trip, though. I'll have to fly down to California someday.

2/26/2007 8:25 PM

 
Blogger WillyShake said...

Love it! Best was that "Bubblehead" shot--perfect.

Glad you had a great time

...oh, and before I forget again...remind me to get your input on buying new computer/laptop...I'd especially like to hear your thoughts on needed specs--i.e. how much RAM, how much hard drive storage, processor speed, etc.

2/28/2007 8:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever go back and want to travel to attractions in LA from San Diego use the trains. The Metrolink / coaster combination from SD to Union Station is ~$15 and frrom Union Station you can take the subway right to the tram station at Universal.

3/04/2007 7:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home