Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, April 06, 2007

Submarine Razorback Haunted?

Check out this article about the search for ghosts aboard the submarine USS Razorback (SS 394), currently moored as a museum ship in North Little Rock, Arkansas. Excerpts from the article:
"Is the submarine haunted? Perhaps. Or maybe it's just something following us around."
Up on deck, submarine director Greg Stitz says he's never had a close encounter of another worldly kind, but he has heard strange, unexplainable noises.
"There's been times standing on deck and the alarm goes off and then when you go open the hatch and go down in boat it quits, which is a little unnerving," says Stitz.
For the CASPR team, there's no question the alarm is evidence of some sort of life beyond death.
Shillings explains, "If there is no explanation for it at all and it can't physically be set off without touching something or without someone moving past it, then you've got to say well it's unexplained paranormal activity."
And while it's unexplainable for now, Shillings says it may only be a matter of time before a ghost presents itself in image form.
Shillings says she hopes to return with her team to the Razorback and spend the night. She says activity is most likely to happen in the early morning hours.
I'm not sure about supernatural forces aboard the Razorback, but I'm almost positive that the #1 HPAC on my old boat USS Topeka was, if not haunted, at least possessed by unholy demons. That thing made all sorts of strange noises.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubblehead,
We're you on the Topeka with a mechanic named Frankenberry?

4/06/2007 2:12 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Yes I was; he signed off most of my mechanical BEQ. I was onboard from '90-'93. If I remember right, Petty Officer Frankenberry left before He Who Must Not Be Named took command.

4/06/2007 4:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of haunted boats, the USS Pennsylvania was visited by the ghost of her recently deceased PCU CO, CAPT Oltraver. He died of cancer about 9 months before commissioning.

In '90 sometime, we were parked at the Trident basin in PCAN, and I was the Midwatch BDW. We were doing daily runs in and out of port for DASO. I was exhausted, having gone for about 3 days on 4-5 hours of sleep. I had just taken readings on the 400 cycle sets in AMR1, and I turned around, and there he was, in his dress blues, cap pulled down so it shadowed his eyes. Very eery, very scary. I blinked and he was gone. I flew up 4 levels and leapt out of the forward logistics escape trunk. The Topside PO, another sonar tech, said "Hey, what's going on, Sean? You look like you just saw a ghost." "I did, or I think I did, I may be hallucinating because I'm so tired." I told him what I saw, and we both agreed that I was just tired. We were both kinda freaked, though.

Word about what I thought I saw got around real quick, obviously. Surprisingly, no one gave me crap about it. A few weeks later, the A-Gang LPO, Rip Romano, a real no-nonsense guy, came up to me and said he saw the Captain, too.

Though I do believe in things spiritual, I'm not one for seeing these kind of things frequently. Ever, actually, except for this incident. I know lots of people who have seen this kind of thing a lot, though.

4/07/2007 12:21 AM

 
Blogger Trickish Knave said...

I am certain that every 10K is haunted. It seems to stop working at the most inopportune times.

And you know how important showers are to us sonarmen...

4/07/2007 8:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubblehead,
I am the anonymous that you replied to above. I served with "Boo" on The Seawolf. I was a nuke mm from '97 to '01. I don't think the Wolf was ever haunted, but everytime we went through the Bermuda Triangle to and from PCAN strange things would occur i.e. one of the feed pumps catching on fire.

4/09/2007 9:07 AM

 
Blogger oltraver said...

Hey Sonarman-

My father's ghost visited you? More details, please! You can email me at oltraver@cox.net.

-Patrick

4/29/2007 10:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home