Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Church Shootings In Moscow, Idaho

Submariner Dale at Right Mind is blogging from Moscow about the shootings in the Presbyterian church there. I'm sure he'll have updates and links throughout the day as the situation develops.

Update 0823 20 May: Reports from the scene indicate that police have entered the church, and reportedly found at least the shooter dead inside. Area residents are being allowed to leave their homes.

Update 2226 20 May: The story has gotten even sadder. The shooter, who comes from the town just south of where I live, killed his wife at the beginning of the rampage. The policeman he killed, Lee Newbill (who is the first officer ever killed in the line of duty in Moscow) was a former Army officer.

This tragedy should highlight the problems of gun ownership by those with histories of domestic violence, as the shooter, Jason Hamilton, did. (Sara from F-Words, who's also in Moscow, discusses more on the domestic violence angle on her blog.) While most people recognize that gun ownership is an important right, there are times when people's actions should necessitate removing that right from them until they demonstrate they're no longer a danger to the community. (Not that it would have done much good in this case, since he was already under a judge's orders not to own guns, but he obviously didn't turn them in.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Mr. C. said...

Joel,

I'm actually in Seattle right now with #1 son.

My "news" is all second-hand thru the MSM.

I've asked some of my friends to send me some pictures for uploading.

This is a tragic, sad day for Moscow. Our sleepy little liberal college town has never had a police officer killed before.

best,
Dale

5/20/2007 12:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't paid much attention lately and may be way off; but for some reason these tragedies seem to be more prevalent in liberal leaning states? Sadness is too great when such senseless actions have to exist in a free country.

5/21/2007 2:37 PM

 
Blogger saraeanderson said...

Like Virginia? And Idaho? I love me some partisan bickering, but I don't think this is the time.

5/21/2007 11:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Vandal that just moved from Moscow to Mississippi a year ago March. I lived in Moscow for mearly 10 years. It is the town where I completed a graduate degree, married my husband, owned my first house, and gave birth to my two daughters. I didn't have a dead bolt and I had a dog door big enough to crawl through. Moscow will always have special place in my heart and I am saddened to watch it's people go through this from afar.

My prayers will be focused on you all. Thanks for taking the time to update your blog.

Heather Smith

5/23/2007 10:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chrys said: "...but for some reason these tragedies seem to be more prevalent in liberal leaning states?"

-- Idaho is liberal leaning? That's news. Idaho is the reddest state in the nation.

5/28/2007 9:26 AM

 
Anonymous contactos madrid said...

I found a great deal of effective info here!

10/26/2011 4:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the very day Lee Stewart Newbill died on the line of duty, one man said very dirty language to my brother, and after 28 years, the friendship is over.

6/07/2013 3:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home