Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Cookin' It Bachelor Style

With SubBasket and our daughter off on a fun trip to Salt Lake City, the Bubblehead house has a very masculine vibe going on this week. I got manly steaks to cook up for dinner tonight; this was before I found out that my oldest son had to go to work before my youngest got back from football practice. I didn't want either of them to miss out, though, so I figured I'd cook up the steak for the oldest before he left.

He likes his very rare (like I do), so we figured it'd be a waste of charcoal to cook it up on our grill. Since we're guys, we came up with an alternate solution -- the good old George Foreman:

Like I said, it was a manly steak. After the outside got all nice and brown, we checked out the inside, and found that it was still pretty much cold and uncooked. That's OK, because we had technology on our side!

About a minute and a half in the microwave made for a perfectly edible rare steak. Manly perseverance and mad cooking skillz come through again!

11 Comments:

Blogger LC Scotty said...

Dude, manly means never considering a chimney full of charcoal a waste.

8/16/2007 6:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"George Foreman Grill" and "manly" don't seem to belong in the same thought. The GFG (even the giant size one) just doesn't cut it for steaks.

8/16/2007 6:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw the first pic I swear I thought it was some off the wall pic from like the Philippines how to cook the head of some poor creature in a George Forman.
That poor steak.

8/16/2007 6:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fire and smoke are always manly, but so are innovation and large chunks of bovine flesh. Keep the strong points, and work to improve your weak ones. Perhaps next time you can light a fire on the George Forman Grill and cook the steak on a sturdy stick. Bonus tip: I found that a bent tie rod from a John Deere tractor makes an excellent cooking utensil.

RM1/SS

8/16/2007 6:51 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Please note that I never claimed my method of cooking the steak was manly, only that the steak was manly. My method of cooking was definitely on the "guy" side of the guy/manly scale -- kinda like this guy.

8/16/2007 10:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, go to www.thecookingguy.com
to impress the ladies and make a suitable "man" meal. Ah c'mon dude, a GFG?

8/16/2007 3:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, that is dis-gusting.

And you can never waste charcoal. Besides, it stays hot forever. You could have grilled some (gasp!) vegetables (but manly ones), and maybe some fruit (a nectarine is about as manly as it's gonna get with gill marks) or just gone with the tried-and-true melting of old action figures.

8/16/2007 6:44 PM

 
Blogger Mr. C. said...

Without reading the text, that picture looks obscene...

8/16/2007 10:49 PM

 
Blogger saraeanderson said...

Two observations:

Everyone feels the pull towards food blogging.

and

It's hard to photograph food so that it actually looks appetizing. This is a good effort. I sympathize, and can send you hundreds of botched food photos if you don't believe me.

8/16/2007 11:49 PM

 
Blogger bothenook said...

i'm glad it worked out for you. but dude, you are some kind of clueless!
i also second the posts that stated there is no such thing as wasted charcoal....

8/17/2007 9:35 AM

 
Anonymous www.muebles.pl said...

Wow, there is so much effective info above!

10/01/2011 1:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home