Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, August 03, 2007

"Hey, Shipwreck": The Fourteenth Episode

Head on over to TubeDaze to check out the 14th episode of the enormously popular space submarine video saga:



In this episode, a nuke is treated with unseemly disrespect by the coners, and bad jokes are told on the midwatch. The 2nd part is believable; the first doesn't really ring true to this old Eng -- I don't ever remember a Nuke actually saying, "For the love of Rickover", and the nukes generally out-pranked the coners by about a 10:1 ratio. Maybe it's different in the future, though.

For more on the very talented creator of "Hey, Shipwreck" (an active duty submariner on recruiting duty here in Idaho) check out the most recent "Navy Wife Radio" episode that features an interview with Patrick Hrabe by submarine wives Wendy and Marie.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Nukes outpranked the coners..."??? When? Where? A different future? How about a fantasy past, there BH. On all 5 of the boats I was on the nukes were too busy whining (or feeling unwarrantedly superior) to prank on anybody, and don't have a sense of humor to do anything if they did.

Me, I was notorious for my practical jokes. I got blamed for stuff that wasn't even practical jokes. One time my LPO had me racked out to come to sonar. When I got there there was this horrible fish smell in the shack. The LPO told me to tell him where I hid the fish, or he was going to make me field day the entire shack by myself. I told him that wasn't a fish it was a power supply in the CDC gone bad. He didn't believe me, but we all checked the power supply go/no-goes. They were all good, so he says again to tell me to get rid of the fish. Just as he was saying that, one of the consoles went completely black, and blue smoke started to seep out of the bottom. Told ya, asshole. And then I went back to the rack.

When I came up to relieve him, I said, quite smugly because he always bragged about how awesome a etch he was, "So I take it you've never smelled a power supply about to go bad, have you?" He just glared at me and left. I wish it had been a joke, it would have been a good one.

8/03/2007 8:04 PM

 
Blogger reddog said...

Nucs were great prankers. It comes naturally with all that contemplation of the 10-12 years of their life the Nav conned them out of, for the privilege of doing endless shift work, in the bowels of a radioactive Hell, supervised by snot nosed, Academy trained, pricks.

Ya gotta have a sense of humor to get through that.

I had my DD 214 before they even got to the boat. That's the Coner prank on them I enjoyed the most.

8/04/2007 1:55 PM

 
Blogger Brainy435 said...

We came up with all our good stuff on mid-watches. That's where we came up with the Miami's "Morale Dept" slogan: Carpe Scrotum.

8/06/2007 11:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for promoting the show. Pat is always a hot guest. We are always looking for show topics so if that wife of yours has any ideas, have her send them my way!

8/06/2007 9:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coners vs Nucs for pranks? I think the issue is that most pranks don't cross over. In Radio, we created some pretty smart "shred bombs." The best though goes to my guys on Tunny. They sewed a bridge to bridge radio into my pillow and turned up the squelch so it was quiet until I went to sleep. Then I'm blasted awake with the old "JIM, THIS IS GOD..." line from Real Genius. Then I tore apart my rack looking for the darn thing while everyone else in berthing is cussing me out for the noise.

For Brainy435: When were you on Miami? I was there 88-92 for launch, commissioning, PSA.

RM1/SS

8/07/2007 6:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home