Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter Hype In Idaho

The countdown to the release of the 7th Harry Potter book continues. Here in the Boise area, it looks like there are still lots of people who want to get the book at midnight, despite the alleged "spoilers" that can apparently be found on the 'net. (I've been very diligent about avoiding any potential spoilers, personally.)

We're getting our copies of the book at the local Barnes & Nobles tonight at midnight; they're one of several stores that are staying open late. SubBasket and our youngest went there this morning to get the numbered bracelets that they're handing out to those who pre-ordered the books to establish the selling order for tonight. They reported that 15 minutes before they started handing out the bracelets at noon, the line streched all the way around the building; they estimated about 400 people. The actually selling part should be quite intense tonight.

I posted some of my predictions about the book last week; while I realize that putting out "predictions" now -- with copies of the book apparently available on-line -- seems kind of silly, but I'm going to put one more out there. This isn't really a "prediction" as much as a "this is the way I think it would be cool to go" kind of thing. I've mentioned in the past that I think that "Dumbledore = Gandalf" but I'm starting to think that a better analogy would be "Harry = Frodo". (It's already fairly clear that Voldemort = Sauron, so I don't think I'm going out on much of a limb here.) Just as Frodo saved the Shire, but not for himself, I think it would be appropriate to have Harry lose his magical powers in vanquishing Voldemort. That way the last line could be: "I set out to save the wizarding world, and it has been saved, but not for me. Now all I'll have to remember this part of my life is this scar. Sh*t!"

Update 0053 21 July: We got our copies of the book:

Expect light blogging until I get it finished. (We only got three copies for the five of us, and I seem to be about 5th in line to get one, so it might be a few days.)

4 Comments:

Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

We got home from Borders around 0100, but I had to be at work at 0730 so I went straight to bed - didn't even crack the cover. Got home about 1600 to find that my 11-year-old had already finished it. No-one else was home, so I claimed the book; I'm now on page 502. This book is intense - started out that way, and hasn't slowed down a bit. Wow. (Three characters dead so far, by the way....)

7/21/2007 11:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James, it does NOT end like you said it would. No Triple Lindy.

Pete

7/22/2007 12:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 15-year-old has monopolized the volume. So far my Harry Potter 7 adventure has been "Harry Potter and the Endless Line"

7/23/2007 5:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bubblehead Check your copies carefully. Here's a story in the Charlotte newspaper about some printing problems.

http://www.charlotte.com/146/story/208740.html

7/23/2007 9:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home