Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Once Again, It Is The Time At TSSBP When We Dance

Expect a lot of basketball discussion for the next three weeks here. Let's face it -- the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament is the best annual series of contests in the world. (Yes, it's even better than the NFL Playoffs.) Here are some other posts I've written on NCAA Basketball in the past for those who are new to TSSBP.

This year I decided to throw away my fail-safe method of filling out my brackets and go with the old standby: gut instinct. In the 1st round, I picked the higher seeds except: all the 9 seeds, 3 of the 10 seeds (all except South Alabama), the 11 and 12 seeds to win in the East Regional, 13 seed Siena to beat Vandy, and two (!) 14 seeds to win: Cornell over Stanford and Georgia over Xavier. My Sweet 16 consists of UNC, WSU, Louisville, and Butler in the East; Kansas, Clemson, USC, and Georgetown in the Midwest; Memphis, Pitt, Marquette, and Texas in the South; and UCLA, Drake, Purdue, and Duke in the West.

I've got UNC beating Louisville in the Eastern Regional Finals, Kansas over USC in the Midwest, Texas getting by Pitt in the South, and UCLA eating Duke's doughnut in the West. After Kansas makes traitor Roy Williams cry like a pussy in the national semifinals, I say my alma mater beats UCLA in the Finals 88-82.

What say you?

Update 3/22/2008 2217: Well, my bracket is in shambles, but it's still always nice to see Duke leave the tournament early.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Kansas over UCLA 84 82.
or
North Carolina over UCLA 86 84
Or
Pittsburgh over NC 88 86

All picks a compromise after discussion with expert BB wife.

let the games begin.

3/20/2008 10:06 AM

 
Blogger carbs said...

What say I? I say that I love the Cornell pick - I didn't quite have the guts to pick my school to beat Stanford.

I have UNC over UCLA in the final, with Texas and Wisconsin the other national semifinalists.

3/20/2008 10:53 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

My Georgia pick looked pretty good for the first 30 minutes, until they spun in.

3/20/2008 2:17 PM

 
Blogger Jarrod said...

I filled my bracket in by coin flip all the way. The result? CS Fullerton on top. 50-50-90, I guess.

3/20/2008 6:16 PM

 
Blogger peter said...

being British, I know nothing about NCAA basketball. That's why I've gone for Memphis to win the lot against Georgetown

3/23/2008 8:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter,
No worries now: Georgetown is out.

The greatest thing about the NCAA tournament are the upsets. Betting on your bracket is almost a religion here, and the fact is, it doesn't matter how you pick. You'll still lose.
My wife, who goes by colors, names and places near her hometown is doing better than me. And I'm a big number cruncher and statistics guy.
All in fun. But I agree with Matt, UNC over UCLA in final.

3/23/2008 5:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home