Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Back To Work!

Now that I'm done with radiation and chemo, I'm heading back to work this morning for the first time in a few weeks; I'll work up until my surgery, which should be in 4-8 weeks. For some reason, I'm really, really excited to go fill out my TPS reports.

While I'm at work, check out this "Op-Ed" piece submitted by an enterprising Navy Nuclear Power Officer recruiter to his local newspaper about the benefits of a career as a Navy officer in the nuclear power field. It makes me want to sign up!

(Interesting note for those who get here by Googling "recovery from chemo" or "side effects of chemo" -- both times I had chemotherapy for a tumor of the G-E Junction [one bag of Cisplatin followed by one bag of 5FU pumped in over 96 hours] I ended up "violently ejecting" the contents of my stomach 102 hours after the 5FU finished up. I know it's only two data points on one test subject, but it's interesting to me that it happened both times within a +/- 1 hour period after completion of treatment. In both cases, I felt immeasurably better immediately after the "purge" of the sloughed-off dead cells.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was pretty happy to get back to work after missing twleve weeks due to a motorcycle wreck. While a period off to recharge the batteries is a good thing, twelve weeks was definitely an over the top equalizing charge.

I was even happier to get back to doing my real job...operating the plant.

Best of luck to you, Joel.

1/04/2009 7:50 AM

 
Blogger Steve Harkonnen said...

Just passing along a hearty good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery from all of this.

1/07/2009 10:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home