Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Year End Personal News And Notes

Thanks again for to all the readers of TSSBP for all your support throughout the year. It's been a busy week here at the Bubblehead house; I wanted to fill you in on what's going on:

1) This morning, I finished my radiation treatments in preparation for the cancer surgery I'll be having in a month or so; the chemo finished up yesterday. Everyone says I came through the radiation treatments (5,040 rads to my gastro-esophageal junction) about as well as anyone they've seen, in that I've been able to eat and drink normally throughout the treatment; one nurse said she's only seen one person through their office (a Marine) also make it through without having to tube feed. I credit the extra shielding I have (although I did lose about 15 lbs of that during the treatments.) I'll be starting back to work on Sunday, and hopefully will get the surgery scheduled in Seattle very soon.

2) Farewell, Faithful Friend: Yesterday, we had to say good-bye to our beloved cat, Hercules. It was a very emotional moment for all of us. A loving companion to our whole family, Hercules blessed our lives more than we could have hoped for, both with his affection and humor. Some of the "Best of Hercules" can be seen here; a more recent picture is here:

Thanks for sharing your life with us, old friend.

3) For the 3rd year running, I've been selected as a finalist for the "2008 Weblog Awards", this time in the "Best Up and Coming Blog" category against 9 worthy competitors (including the blog that cleaned my clock last year). I finished 2nd in 2006 and 3rd in 2007, so hopefully we'll be able to reverse the trend this year. I'll post more information as we get closer to the start of voting on January 5th (and maybe even another "Completely Impartial Voter's Guide"). As always, your support is appreciated; the "competition" has always been a lot of fun.

4) Go Big Red!

Happy New Year to all!

Update 2312 01 Jan 2009: Thanks to CDR Salamander and ninme for posting about Hercules. It means a lot to us.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh poor Hurcules. He will be missed.

12/31/2008 4:40 PM

 
Blogger Nereus said...

Farewell Hurcules, I am sure the blankets and family will miss you and the attention.
Farewell 2008. One year I am sure we are all eager to put in the rear view mirror.
Good luck, and God Bless Joel,
I wish you and your family the best. Best of Luck and Godspeed with you journey and healing with your bout with cancer.
Nothing is too tough for a determined Submariner.
Good Luck, God Bless and may the winds be in your sails always
Nereus

12/31/2008 9:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying goodbye to a close family pet is a very difficult thing, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Happier wishes for your chemo and rads recovery, I wish you well for your surgery and a speedy recovery.

12/31/2008 9:55 PM

 
Blogger Tammi said...

Happy 2009 Sir.

1/01/2009 5:07 AM

 
Blogger WillyShake said...

Oh, no. This is so very sad. I dread the day that I will lose our cat, Gray, and yet I can barely begin to feel the grief that you must be experiencing.

My sincere condolences.

1/01/2009 6:03 AM

 
Blogger Carl said...

Hey Bubblehead, we're matched up again in the Weblog Awards. Congratulations on that bit of good news amidst all this sadness.

I survived cancer, a very mild form, but nonetheless, and Herc looks like my ThumbPer. My condolences, bud.

1/01/2009 7:37 AM

 
Blogger Miss Ladybug said...

My condolences on the loss of Hercules. Having lost my beloved cat, Sophia, not quite 2 years ago, I know what it feels like. I dread the day I will have to deal with it again, with my other cat and my 2 dogs.

1/01/2009 9:54 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts.

Carl,
I look forward to renewing our friendly "competition" -- it was a lot of fun last year, and I hope we can have as much fun this year.

1/01/2009 10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your old friend Herc..

And will say a prayer or two for your journey to health.

sid

1/01/2009 10:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you would get more votes if half of your readers weren't out to sea!

1/01/2009 9:35 PM

 
Blogger ascuseme said...

Hi Joel,

I'm sorry to hear about Hercules. It's amazing how hard it can be once their gone. I had a Seal-Point Siamese who I picked up from a shelter about a month after I came off active duty. I had him for a little over four years. When he passed on from feline lukemia, it was like losing a family member to me. So, I understand your loss as well.

It's outstanding that you're winning the battle on cancer. Soon enough, you'll look at it as a distance memory.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks, J.

1/02/2009 8:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home