Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, July 30, 2009

College Orientation Open Thread

Sorry for the non-existent posting; I'm off at College Orientation with our middle child. I finally found the Computer Lab, so here's some links to submarine news that's making the rounds:

1) India launched its first indigenously-produced nuclear submarine, making them the 5th 6th country to join the SSN club. Pakistan isn't happy. (Notably, the Pakis say they won't be "entering an arms race", as if they stood a chance in hell of making a working SSN anytime in the next several decades.)

2) Former First Lady Laura Bush will travel to Connecticut to take part in the Change of Command ceremony for USS Texas (SSN 775). Unlike another First Lady who couldn't make time in her schedule to even attend the Commissioning of "her" boat, it looks like Mrs. Bush is putting forth the effort to be a good Sponsor. (All three of the Sponsors of the boats I was on did a pretty good job of being involved outside the two big ceremonies; Elizabeth Dole for USS Topeka and Rosalyn Carter for USS Jimmy Carter are the ones you'll know best.)

3) Commando Subs Sending Drones, Robo-Torpedos into Combat (!!!111!1!{3-2}!1!{[e^iπ]+2}!) : Nothing more needs be said.

4) Not in the news, but interesting to me: I got an E-mail from "Central Navy Portal FLOT.com" telling me that all my content that had linked the navy.ru site has moved, and asking me to fix my links. I don't think I will, but they were kind enough to let me know all my posts that had the now-bad links:

http://bubbleheads.blogspot.com/2006/04/happy-birthday-us-submarine-force.html
http://bubbleheads.blogspot.com/2008/11/at-least-twenty-deaths-reported-on.html

So yes, I guess the Russians do read this blog -- or at least their 'bots do. (If you do want the new links, just change the "navy.ru" part of the URL to "flot.com" in the links in those posts. The English version of the new Russian Navy website is here.)

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves...

Bell-ringer 1906 01 Aug: Updated to correct a mistake in how many countries have built nuclear submarines. Also, here's a report about Mrs. Bush in Groton.

Update 1125 02 Aug: Here's a story about how the Indians are using a land-based "prototype" to prove the submarine reactor before installation. Sounds to me like a tried-and-true method of getting it done.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's outstanding Joel.
It looks like WSU has a number of great degree programs. Besides girls and beer, what's caught his eye in terms of a degree? Any chance that he's interested in the NROTC program as well?

Looking at the campus URL, I have to admit I wish I could turn back the clock by five or six years and go to a traditional University like this.

Congrats Joel and have a fun weekend.

MT1 WidgetHead

7/31/2009 12:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Joel reads xkcd!!!!1!1!

Seriously, how did you start reading xkcd? (The kids?:)

7/31/2009 12:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot, speaking of US Missile defense, here's a story on Yahoo which was supposed to be "Top Secret", well atleast until we finished the exercise. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_on_re_us/us_hawaii_missile_defense

I dunno, but I have a feeling that Japan and Hawaii are both safe from those nasty commie bastards in N.Korea. Is there still a chance that we could be "assimilated" into the the Communist Collective? No, I don't think so either. It was still a fun story though.

MT1 WidgetHead

7/31/2009 2:19 AM

 
Blogger I R A Darth Aggie said...

What? rusnavy.com? interesting...

7/31/2009 11:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is great that Mrs Bush took the time to honor the USS Texas. THis is just another good moment for SUBRON4.

7/31/2009 12:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chief selection results are out:

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/221467C8-6095-4E81-A7AE-03989CC6447E/0/NAV09230.txt

7/31/2009 10:31 PM

 
Blogger John Byron said...

Joel: let an old Husky offer the one appropriate comment on your youngster's choice of schools: Moooo....

(Great school actually - if you haven't, try some Cougar Gold.)

8/01/2009 8:35 AM

 
Blogger Srvd_SSN_CO said...

I hate to correct you, but India is the 6th country to launch a boomer, still just 5 with SSNs.

US, USSR, UK, FR, PRC. India.

I wonder how many years away sea trials are?

8/01/2009 3:30 PM

 
Blogger XBradTC said...

I've got some Cougar Gold in the fridge this moment. And academically, the reputation of WSU has gone up quite a bit since I darkened the door there.

8/01/2009 9:59 PM

 
Blogger Daniel Golding said...

{Also known as 'half boat', the entire propulsion plant with primary, secondary, electrical and propulsion systems along with its integrated control was packed in the aft end of the land-based submarine hull designed and built specifically for this purpose.}

Um, that sounds awfully familiar to the non-MTS prototypes. Old S1C was exactly that.

Makes me wonder if some Indian-American ex-nucs or ex-KAPL/Bettis folks are helping out. I'm cool with that - no matter how much lip service i get about Pakistan being our allies, we shouldn't forget who our real friends are...

8/03/2009 9:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it "curie" or "curry"....

ah, the ever-changing world.

8/03/2009 10:03 AM

 
Blogger John Byron said...

is it "curie" or "curry"?

Doesn't that depend on how hot it is?

8/03/2009 10:32 AM

 
Blogger Lee said...

www.sadtrombone.com

8/03/2009 9:12 PM

 
Blogger ayura said...

Great blog. I read every single entry. What kind of camera do you use?

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

8/16/2009 11:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home