Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, October 31, 2009

USS Texas Surfaces Through Ice

USS Texas (SSN 775) recently became the first Virginia-class submarine to operate in the Arctic; here's photographic evidence:

This occurred during the boat's transit from Groton to her new homeport of Pearl Harbor. From the CSP article:
“Words can not describe how impressed I am with my crew’s performance and professionalism,” said Cdr. Robert Roncska, Commanding Officer of USS Texas. “The ship performed extremely well in the cold, under-ice environment and I am honored to carry on the tradition of arctic operations by our awesome submarine force.”
Though the submarine force has continually operated in the dangerous region successfully for over 50 years, this occasion marked the first such venture by one the Navy’s newest assets.
“Once surfaced, the ship moored safely to the ice for over 24 hours,” said Ens. James Robinson, Supply Officer of USS Texas. “Activities on the ice included a very special re-enlistment ceremony for 12 crew members and a pinning ceremony in which one crew member received his submarine warfare qualification dolphins, as well as some down time to play touch football in the five degree weather.”
Sounds like a good time was had by all!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my husband's boat did that back in 2007. They're the sub featured in Stargate Continuum. They got to meet the cast and everything.

Go USS texas. I have a navy wife friend from that boat. =) I hope the guys kept some artic snow (now water lol) as a keepsake!!

10/31/2009 11:47 AM

 
Blogger Atomic Dad said...

Awesome for the boat. I'm glad to hear that they got this opportunity.

Something just sounds wrong to me with "Texas in the Arctic" though. Just an odd statement to me. When I think of Texas I think hot and dry, not cold and wet.

10/31/2009 12:35 PM

 
Anonymous Fellow SSN CO said...

Bob and the Crew of TEXAS:

BZ and great job with the arctic stuff. Enjoy the warmer weather!

10/31/2009 1:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!

Been on two operational, forward-deploying fast boats, and the hands-down highlight was my arctic run. Surfacing up at the pole was INCREDIBLE!

Great job, guys!

10/31/2009 6:43 PM

 
Blogger wtfdnucsailor said...

Most fun I ever had on a sub trip was when we operated under the ice in the early seventies (an eternity ago). BZ to TEXAS.

11/02/2009 10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, I thought Al Gore said that the polar ice cap had melted away!

Great job TEXAS!

11/02/2009 1:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another cool picture of TEXAS in the Arctic

11/03/2009 8:11 AM

 
Anonymous Sonartech said...

"one crew member received his submarine warfare qualification dolphins" - that just sounds so very skimmer pukeish. I understand it comes from the Chop but still, just say Dolphins.
My boat did an under ice that was part of the first winter polar arctic rendezvous of two boats back in '82. It was very boring except for the surfacing on the pole which was something else. The north pole in the winter is like being on another planet.

11/10/2009 11:48 PM

 
Blogger Arizona foreclosures said...

it's blog very nice and many people likes it's ok
Texas

5/11/2010 2:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, too very bad you were disappointed. Sonartech . My son at age 20 was the very first/youngest ET Nav to circumvent the North pole and earn his "dolphins." I'm sure your negative comments are a reflection of your shortcomings rather than your hopes for your future comrades and pride for your Navy.

10/05/2011 10:29 PM

 
Anonymous site said...

It can't actually work, I believe so.

7/19/2012 12:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home