Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Heart's Just Not In It

Normally, I like nothing better than ripping apart idiotic articles in the MSM about submarines. Tonight, though, I saw one that was so simplistic that I feel it would be overkill to tear it apart. Plus, NewsMax isn't really an MSM outlet. I will say that they are technically right when they say that "military experts opine that Iran has up to six Russian-built SSK or SSI Kilo-class diesel submarines prowling the Gulf." "Exactly three" could be included in "up to six", I suppose; the writer apparently mistakenly thought that the 2-3 tiny SSIs they have are also considered Kilos (probably because he seems to have copied exactly the language used in a French report from last year).

Anyway, if any of you other sub-bloggers want to mock and belittle the writer, go to town... As for me, I'll just settle with laughing at CBS News for calling Subase New London a "Trident Submarine Base" in this report about illegal immigrants working on a base housing overhaul.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lubber's Line said...

Bubblehead, I also saw the CBS piece the other day and also had to laugh. Not only is there a “Trident Submarine Base” somewhere in CT but it appears to be in the town of “Gronton” as in the accompanying photo caption and date line opening. And they claim editorial fact checking is what makes the MSM different than bloggers, ya right.

4/14/2006 6:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the story:
Leading off the always lurking and deadly wolfpacks is Israel's fleet of Dolphin-class submarines, each carrying U.S.-supplied Harpoon cruise missiles - armed with nuclear warheads.

So the Israelis, who have no nuclear weapons, were given US NUCLEAR HARPOONS. Maybe they are going whale hunting with dynamite? Maybe we can buy some of the nukes back?

4/14/2006 8:29 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

No, it's something I find perverse pleasure in... of course, when I screw up, I have the excuse that I'm not a professional journalist.

4/18/2006 12:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home