Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Some Sub-Related Stuff Around The 'Net

Last week, I blogged about my old shipmate taking command of USS Cheyenne (SSN 773). Being the new guy on the block, it looks like they're sticking him with all the pain-in-the-butt VIP stuff, as shown by this story of his ship hosting some actors from the TV show Lost.

Rontini has a couple of fascinating pictures, here and here, of how the Japanese Navy does out-of-the-water maintenance on their submarines without a drydock. Here's one of the pictures:

Lastly, we have reports from Groton of some idiots who defaced the "Submarine Capital Of The World" sign just off I-95. (Video of a news story is here.) The anti-war vandals splashed yellow paint on the sign and also painted "F**k War" in white near the stern:

I'm sure these hooligans think they're helping out Ned Lamont with stunts like this, but I think they'll find they're sadly mistaken.

Update 0723 24 Oct: A 27 year old New London man has been arrested for the vandalism.

6 Comments:

Blogger Subvet said...

I recall some protesters showing up outside EB shipyard back in the mid 70's. They made the mistake of standing parrallel to the main gate as it opened for lunch. Anyone who was ever there in that time frame knows you'd get run over in a heartbeat. Those yardbirds were nuts!

Once the initial surge died down you couldn't find any protesters. Reminded me of a flood tide coming in and washing the beach clean.

Personal opinion; They're a useless bunch.

10/20/2006 2:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that sign gets vandalized routinely. Panty waists having a temper tantrum.

Why yellow? don't they usually use blood red? Maybe the enemy is running short on munitions.

I think the old boat was due for an overhaul anyway. It may be time to give her some defensive weapons.

RM1/SS

10/20/2006 6:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, ya scooped me, Bubblehead, I was going to blog this - seeing that this happened in my backyard... kudos to you.

I've lived here off and on nearly my entire life, and I have many relatives in the area. The sign rarely gets vandalized.

In fact, it was just recently "overhauled" a few years ago from the 616/640 silhouette to the Nautilus style it is now. It's a very nice tribute to the old SSN 571.

But more importantly, when they catch the sonzabitches that did this, they ought to get sentenced to one year of... community service. Doing what, you may ask? Serving coffee and donuts to the service members at the The Pat Tillman Memorial USO station at Bagram Air Base, in Afghanistan. Oh, and with a big placard with what they did hanging around their necks, as well.

I think that would be sweet justice...

10/20/2006 11:44 AM

 
Blogger reddog said...

nbggvpI know it's not a very big submarine, but the fact that they have a crane that can lift it out of the water for repairs is impressive.

We don't have anything that even comes close.

10/20/2006 1:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be wrong - but, I don't believe I've ever heard of Republican supporters doing this "stuff"

10/21/2006 1:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonarman
I'm not sure how long you've been alive, but that sign said Death Capitol more often than it said Submarine Capitol when I was in Groton back in the late 70s and early 80s.

10/28/2006 11:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home