Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Monday, April 09, 2007

DiGar -- A Crappy Place To Do A Crew Swap

When the Navy announced they were converting the four oldest Ohio-class SSBNs to Tomahawk-missile carrying SSGNs, a lot of the discussion I heard was whether or not they were going to do overseas crew swaps -- places like Guam, La Maddalena, and Diego Garcia were discussed.

Now, I've never done a crew swap, and I've only done a few PERSTRANS evolutions out of DiGar, but I've heard some stories, and it seems to me that Diego Garcia would be one of the places that submarine crews would least like to swap crews. Nevertheless, it appears that they'll be doing that within a few years, since the Navy just awarded a contract for SSGN Support Facilities in DiGar. While perhaps undesirable from a creature-comfort point of view, there's no doubt that having such a facility makes a lot of military sense -- the Arabian Sea is one of the two areas (along with the Yellow Sea / East China Sea area) that we're most likely to need our SSGNs for the foreseeable future.

A left-leaning British newspaper printed an article about the news that, in addition to some standard anti-U.S. fearmonger, has some surprisingly interesting points. It's worth a read.

6 Comments:

Blogger Skippy-san said...

DGAR has done a lot of work to improve its facilites and is banking on the SSGN presence to bring in more money to fix up the place. Seems to me its the only port to use, unless you are going to pull in and out of ports that present greater force protection challenges............

Besides you can get skunk drunk for about $15 at the Brit club.

4/10/2007 7:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We RN still use DG relatively regularly as base port east of Suez..and i second the use of the Brit club skippy-san..think we drank the island dry last time we were in..

4/10/2007 8:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to extend my active duty service two months to avoid getting put off in DG. The boat was going to head off to Perth without me. I don't think so.

4/10/2007 8:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, you and I must frequent the same websites. I'm a regular reader over at that site and I came across the story just last night. Definitely interesting and certainly not unexpected that we'd be upgrading the base for SSGN's

4/10/2007 10:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given that the only suitable choices for the missions contemplated would be Sigonela, Diego, Kadena, NAS JAX, or Kaneohe, DiGar has to be the obvious winner and crew change has almost nothing to do with it.
Rux Ct

4/11/2007 5:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 1980 the good ship Baton Rouge pulled into D.G. just a couple of days after the USS L.Y.Spear. The Spear was the first sub tender to forward deploy with women on board. Our COB called us together and told us in no uncertain terms that we were not to mess with the WAVES under pain of death or worse. Being the 4.0, squared away, Davy Navy sailor that I was, I paid close and careful attention. The ICFN and I will be married 27 years this December. I proposed on one knee, right there in front of the sail. Not everybody thinks poorly of Diego as a liberty port. We'd both like to take a second Honeymoon there one day. (But, I understand it's gotten all touresty.) Going Deep.

4/11/2007 6:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home