Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, February 18, 2005

Discussion of Jimmy Carter Design, Mission, and Construction

Sorry, you won't see anything here that you can't find other places on the web. All I do is bring these sources to one place, and provide any unclassified comments I think might be useful. A post over at Ron Martini's Submarine BBS brought me to this page, which has a fairly interesting discussion of some of the construction techniques and possible missions of the Carter. While searching for other mentions of HY100 steel in submarine construction, I found a piece taken from the Congressional Record that has a listing of the various vendors that supplied parts for the Carter. That's one way the Navy goes about getting political support for the boats -- if you can have suppliers in every state, then that could provide a lot of votes to get money for your submarine.

Also, I have it on good authority that the press will be touring the Carter today, so we can maybe expect some interior pictures to hit the wires tomorrow morning.

Staying at PD...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home