Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

"This Cannot Be Borne"

I'm incommunicado for one day (job interview) and the blogosphere erupts with submarine related humor and mocking of my beloved last boat. I'll be back to retaliate respond shortly, as soon as I get caught up with the job they're paying me to do (for the next 10 days or so...). Until then, you can check out some of the guffawing and chortling at The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler, Castle Arrgghhh!!! , and even today's Day by Day. (That last link probably won't work after today, if I understand how the Internet works...)

Bonus geek points to whoever can identify the source of the title of this post (Googling not allowed!)

Going deep for a short sprint...

Update: OK, the Castle Arrgghhh!!! post wasn't defaming. This one by WillyShake, though, I'll have to think about. Assign tracker to WillyShake, commence tracking... (Actually, you should check out the WillyShake post for the update with his continuing thoughts on the San Francisco.)

Update 1715 16 Feb: Even Scrappleface got into the Carter-scorning! Firing point procedures, Tube 1, Sierra Scrappleface...

Amended update: Also getting in on the act is Tim Blair.

Update 1856 16 Feb: Harvey from Bad Example weighs in on the side of good, while the commenters at Wizbang (which has a good collection of other anti-most-capable-attack-submarine-in-the-world links) are all mirthful and whatnot... for now. I have to go pee in a bottle, but I'll be back later with a debunking of all the anti-Carter sniggering. (I hate it when real life interferes with my sub-blogging...)
Update continued: While waiting for this update to post (Blogger is verrrrry slow tonight), I launched my first torpedo in Cranky Neocon's comment section. I expect any return fire to be ineffective...
Update on the update: Man, that was embarrassing. Based on the quality of the comments, it appears that Cranky Neocon is actually a satire site, for people to make fun of conservatives the same way that BlameBush makes fun of liberals by imitating them.

Update 0013 17 Feb: Because I came in to correct the spelling of "embarrassing" above, I figured I should add a link. Speed of Thought has a large collection of "humorous" Carter posts as well.

Update 0111 17 Feb: I'm really trying to keep my sense of humor (and I do like some of the humorous pieces that don't make fun of the crew) but this "opinion piece" somehow made it onto the Google News "Submarine" page. I don't have time to point out how unfunny it really is (plus, they spell "attack" as "attach" for no apparent funny reason; I think it's just a misspelling -- I'd say typo, but they did it twice.) Here's an unfunny excerpt:

What Sailor would willingly serve on something named the Jimmy Carter? Commanding and serving on the Jimmy Carter could only become the career buster for its officers and crew.

This might be funny, except when you consider that many open-source news outlets are reporting that Jimmy Carter will be replacing USS Parche, doing whatever it is that they did before being decommissioned. I honestly have no idea what the Parche did, but they did earn 10 Presidential Unit Citation and 9 Navy Unit Commendations for doing it... so, no, service on the Carter will not be a "career buster".

Going deep...

Update 1504 18 Feb: Gordon at Cranky Neocon has a nice post up with his reasonable thoughts on the naming of the Jimmy Carter, and I appreciate them. Yes, President Carter is a bit of a "dufus" sometimes, but he's the "dufus" that my last submarine was named after, so that's why I defend him. As a result of Gordon's generous post, I hereby retract the snarky comments I made above about his commenters; but c'mon, "nuke gunners mate" ? That had to be a put-on...

6 Comments:

Blogger WillyShake said...

Bubblehead, I hope the job interview went great! About JimmAH's Boat, look, I know my protests are silly at some levels, but do know that nothing I said really attaches itself to the boat per say and certainly not the crew. I just hate the fact that a limp-wristed, spineless weanie like JimmAH gets a Fast Attack named after him. It's like this: I always hated the USS Albany's motto: "Still making history" apparently originated from the wife of the patron, Henry Kissinger. I liked the original one assigned by the plankowners "Best of a new breed" (to signify it's superlative qualities among Improved 688's. The former was wimpy; so is a boat named JimmAH. LOL.

Interested to get your thoughts!
All the best,
--Will

2/16/2005 6:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubblehead, I would like to (sort of) defend the former President Jimmy Carter. You see the events under President Carter’s watch were responsible for me enlisting in the Navy in 1980. During Carter’s Presidency I was fresh out of high school and had been working for Electric Boat as a machinist for three years. Then the Iranian Hostage Crisis http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.org/documents/hostages.phtml occurred. That date was November 4, 1979 and four months later in March 1980 I enlisted feeling that my country needed defending. So Carter’s missteps in dealing with the Ayatollah Khomeini and the Iranian militants lead me to a feeling that I needed to take some kind of action. Of course a month later in April 1980 “Desert One” http://www.af.mil/news/airman/0401/hostage.html was Carter’s failed action.

In November 1980 while home in RI on leave I voted for Ronald Reagan. Sometime after that I reported to my first SSBN in Charleston SC with President Reagan as my Commander and Chief.

I think the USS Jimmy Carter SSN23 will prove to be more of the pointy end of spear than the soft handed man she is named after.

Former NavET

2/16/2005 9:52 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

The thing that I took out of the Carter presidency is that it did lead directly to eight years of Reagan, and that was a good thing. I actually like the Carter's motto: "Semper Optima" -- "Always the Best".

2/17/2005 6:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Joel, I am a Conservative. You give me too much credit for being a satire like Liberal Larry. I am just not above the lame joke.

And I do like your site.

2/19/2005 7:10 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Gordon,
I ended up figuring that out. I enjoyed the rest of your site as well, and appreciated the later post you put up on the Carter.

2/19/2005 6:58 PM

 
Anonymous www.guipuzcoa-3d.com said...

Really effective data, thanks for this article.

11/23/2011 1:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home