Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Jimmy Carter (SSN-23) Commissioning Information

Here's a web page from Submarine Group TWO with some information on the upcoming commissioning of PCU Jimmy Carter next Saturday, along with some good pictures. The Carter's motto is "Semper Optima", or "Always the Best", taken from the title of President Carter's biography, "Why Not the Best?". This was my last boat, so I'll always have strong feelings for her, even if they didn't send me an invitation to the commissioning; I guess I should have kept my address updated with them...

Going deep...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never understand how a boat came to be named "Jimmy Carter." What in the hell did this Peanut headed idiot ever accomplish except building cheap houses in communities and screwing up the existing home values. He sure screwed up in the desert many years ago. How about 20% interest rates.Thank God Ronald Reagan came along.

2/10/2005 7:22 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I understand how many feel about the Navy honoring President Carter in this way. My feeling, having met him and Mrs. Carter when they came to visit the crew, is that he truly believes that what he is did as President, and is doing now as a senior statesman, is what is best for the long-term security of the United States and the world. Maybe the lesson learned is that we should not elect micromanagers (like many submarine officers) as President -- it's too big a job to micromanage, and a clear vision of the road ahead is probably a more important attribute. Although I might not agree with all of what President Carter says or advocates, I respect him as someone who stood watch as Commander-in-Chief for four years during the Cold War. I was honored to serve on the boat to which he gave his name, and do not intend, on my part, to disparage his service to our country. On the other hand, I won't censor anyone who does do so in a non-profane way; and I too am thankful that the four Carter years led to eight Reagan years.

2/11/2005 12:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home