Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, March 25, 2005

USS San Francisco Awards Ceremony

From KUAM Guam, here's the story on the awards ceremony for the San Francisco held today. I can't tell for sure, but I don't see the names of any of the navigation team (the ones who are likely to have been taken to mast earlier in the week) nor did CDR Mooney get an award. In any event, it's nice to see the Navy recognize the bravery of the crew. Shipmates, you make me proud to be a submariner.

Staying at PD...

Update 2100 26 March: Here's a picture from the awards ceremony of the ship's corpsman, HM1(SS) James Akin, receiving the Meritorious Service Medal.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has taken me a while to figure out what to say about all of this. Well, here it goes....
I seved w/ most of those mentioned in this piece (left the boat about 9 months ago). I DO NOT know the whole story now and probably never will. However, I can give some background on teh San Fran's nav division, NAV, XO, and ANAV. The divison: some junior, few senior (a huge problem for the 711 across the board - goes back to her refueling in 00-02 and the fact that Guam doen NOT HAVE THE INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SSN's...but that is another story.) I do not know the names of those that lost their stripes, but I can guess. At least QM1 made ETC last year. ANAV: one of the best QM I ever saw (put that ass-kissing SQ15 CMC to shame...again, another story). So gung-ho he should've been a Marine, but one hell of a navigator. NAV: lived about 2 ft from him for about a couple of years... completley competent and confident in his job/abilities. I have seen him lecture/rant about charts/updates/NTMs, etc. on numerous occasions. If he or ETCS missed chart updates than I'm Jesus Christ. XO: tactics and navigation, period. Smart mf'er; handed me my ass numerous times on both. The best part - ask him how the Xenon's doing and he'd tell you "six knots, Ct 300" (stupid nuke joke). CO: I have no comment.
I know the entire crew did their best to save the ship and their shipmates. Speaking to some onboard afterwards, I got (and still get) chills hearing the stories. So close to joining the Thresher and Scorpion.
On a lighter note, congrats to Craig and Doc and the rest of those that were honored (hey Doc, remember your welcome party to the island??)

And finally, RIP GEN Cooter.

3/26/2005 7:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home