Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Idiotic French Documentary on RNS Kursk

I few months ago, I mentioned the ridiculous documentary that had come out about a crackpot theory that the USS Memphis was responsible for the sinking of the Kursk. The terms "asshat" and "nutjob" were both used in my posts on the subject.

This documentary ("Kursk: A Submarine In Troubled Waters") was so outlandish that even the BBC refused to air it. The Sundance Channel had no such qualms, though, and it premiered there last night. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I'll watch it next week. I'll mock and belittle the film more when I actually see it, but here's a preview of what I'll say: Mk 48s don't make a small hole in a ship's hull -- it's Mk 50s, not carried by subs, that supposedly do that. The Memphis stopped in the Norwegian port not to get "repaired" from the collision, but to drop off the sonar tapes of the sinking so they could be flown to the U.S. And, last but not least, you couldn't keep a secret like this, even in the sub community.

One person from Rontini's BBS did watch it, and noticed one item that really troubles me. He says that Sherry Sontag, one of the co-authors of Blind Man's Bluff, is listed in the credits. She seems like a very smart person, and I would hope that she didn't have anything to do with the film other than to tell the filmmakers to get lost if they contacted her (maybe you have to put someone in the credits if you contact them at all). If this report turns out to be true, I hope that those who read this blog, and know Ms. Sontag, might convince her to publicly dissociate herself from the film's theories. A quick Google search didn't turn up any evidence that she has said anything yet (although of course, if she didn't help with the film, I wouldn't have expected her to say anything).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home