Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Oh, How The Mighty Have Fallen

I expect to get a lot of grief from this post, but what I have to say is important, so bear with me...

There's a lot of trouble going on in the world: wars and rumors of wars, natural disasters, and various and asundry examples of man's inhumanity to man. For us farm boys from Nebraska, though, all of this tends to goes away when fall comes, and we focus on what's really important: Nebraska football.

Nebraska climbed to 4-0 this weekend with an exciting 27-20 double overtime win over Iowa State, who was ranked 23rd at the time. You might expect me to hoot and holler over such a result -- if you do, it just means you haven't interacted with 'Husker fans very much. This season has been turning into a horrible nightmare for many Nebraska fans, and I'll tell you why.

You see, this is the 14th straight time we've beaten Iowa State in Lincoln, and the all-time series record is now 82-16-2 in Nebraska's favor. The fact that the game was close at all is just a further example of the depths to which NU football has fallen since we moved away from an option offense to the "West Toast Offense" that the evil NU Athletic Director, Satan, has forced on us.

Before this game, NU ranked something like 107th in the country in total offense -- this was after games against Maine, Extreme Northwest Wake Forest State Teacher's College for the Blind, and Pittsburgh. The Nebraska that I grew up with and loved would routinely run for 500 or 600 yards against teams like Iowa State.

Some people like exciting football games -- my Mom is one of them. I like exciting games, too, as long as they don't involve Nebraska. I like to see 'Husker games where the opponent leaves a demoralized, broken shell of a team. I like to see games against Iowa State like we had in 1997, when the score was 63-7 -- at the end of the first half. I like to see NU win National Championship games by 38 points. I long for a return to the times when NU went 60-3 in a five year stretch in the 90s and people complained because we didn't make it to the National Championship game in 1996.

It's not easy to satisfy a Nebraska fan...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU got it, Husker fans are we. I don't think the west coast version of the new football system will ever catch on. It will take years to make the new system work and the coaches to get their shit together. I think they need to go back to their strengths and push.

10/03/2005 4:15 AM

 
Blogger WillyShake said...

LOL. We fans are a ruthless bunch, eh? Whether rooting for Nebraska or ND, the present situation be d*mned, we want the absolute domination of a dynasty team!

After this last weekend's ND-Purdue game, I can certainly gain a sense of what you want--it was SO very satisfying to see the Irish rack-up some points against a team that has humiliated them in recent years. Coach Weis didn't secure victory by running out the clock--he did it by putting MORE points on the board!

Hang in there, Husker!

10/03/2005 4:35 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

The thing that bugs me most about the changes is that we lost our non-losing season streak. Until last year, NU had never had a losing season in my lifetime, and we were something like 7 years away from breaking the all-time record.
I remember at the end of the '97 season, when I was Eng on Connecticut, I was talking smack before our bowl game against Tennessee (who was ranked #3 at the time). I said that NU would win by 30 points, and they called me on it -- I ended up giving 30 points to three Tennessee guys on a dollar bet. Well, Tennessee ended up scoring a TD with less than a minute left to make the final score NU 42 UT 17 -- that was the most satisfying $3 I ever lost...

10/03/2005 11:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just have to say "Booomer Sooners, Boomer Sooners" is the best song ever. And Barry Switzer is better coach than that DARN Tom Osbourne. And "Tiny Bubbles" is on the rag about his DARN Huskers doing so poorly. I having had to put up with those DARN Huskers for all these years have come to this simply little ending. It is about time they do POORLY. Let some other team be on top for a change and not have to see red all the time. Like FSU needs to be on top. After all "Tiny Bubbles" is a true FSU Fan all the way.LOL He'll love that.

10/03/2005 6:02 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

ko,
He's not really running the offense; he just fired the option-oriented coach who went 10-3 the year he was fired, and hired a new coach who was told to bring in the West Toast "attack".

10/03/2005 8:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home