Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Another Stellar Job By EB

I'm normally not one to give praise lightly to Electric Boat Shipyard; I've spent too much time there for that. Don't get me wrong -- they make good submarines. It's just been my experience, though, that their ability to meet timelines was somewhat problematic.

It looks like this might be changing. Coming on the heels of their quick delivery of USS Virginia, they've teamed with Puget Sound Naval Shipyard to get the SSGN conversion of USS Ohio (SSGN 726) done a lot quicker than I thought possible. BZ to everyone involved (especially Photios!)

It's enough to make me wish that EB had been running the cluster-(fornication) known as the ASDS project from the beginning; maybe a re-bid of the 600%-over-budget program to get EB involved is the right answer. (Background propaganda info on the ASDS, or Advanced SEAL Delivery System, is here.)

Going deep...

2 Comments:

Blogger Chap said...

My cut is that because EB bid for ASDS with experience of actually building submarines, their bid was much higher and thus rejected. So the aircraft company got the bill.

I'm not that excited about ASDS. Ever see Dolgorae or the Sango? If you're talking capability per dollar, others had it figured out.

1/10/2006 2:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see NG is involved in yet another overbudget clustf*ck. They're the fine people who built the LPD-17 San Antonio. Yah, send it to EB, at least they know how to build in CAD virtual space first, and then build it for real.

1/10/2006 3:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home