Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Winter Olympic Update

After last night's triumphant Opening Ceremonies, in which a formerly-famous singer invited visitors to heavily-Catholic Italy to "Imagine" a world in which religion doesn't exist, the athletic competition has started. The first event for the Bubblehead household was "find a web site that shows what's on TV today".

I knew that the Olympics are showing on the NBC consortium of stations, so I went to NBC.com. They said that there would be "Winter Olympic coverage" at 7 p.m. (MST), but weren't too helpful in specifying what I might see. The website did direct me to another site called "NBCOlympics.com", which I figured would have an easily-accessible complete listing of televised events. I was excited when I got to the site, since it had the logos for USA Network, MSNBC, and CNBC, the other channels showing the games (and the only ones apparently showing them during the morning).

Unfortunately, it was not to be. While the website had lots of good information, it didn't have an easily-findable section about "here's what you can see if you turn on the TV to this channel at this time". It turns out that it does exist; you have to first set your local NBC channel, after specifying your cable provider, after providing your zip code, after clicking on an inconspicuous button. Not that it says you'll get this information after providing what they're asking for; you just have to take it on faith.

After going through the procedure, I found that I could watch the Figure Skaking Pairs "preview" this afternoon, along with the Men's Downhill "Practice Run". I also found that lots of events were either in progress or complete in real time, but apparently the network figures that more people are home to watch TV on Saturday night than on a winter Saturday afternoon. (An American wins a gold in one of them.)

I awarded myself a silver medal for "extreme Olympics web searching"... I'll be conducting the medal ceremony at 3 a.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home