Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

You Never Forget Your First...

... home that you owned. Since we didn't start buying houses until relatively late (we lived in base housing from '91-'99) we still have strong memories of the first house we bought, in Ledyard, CT. We owned it when I was Eng on the Jimmy Carter, from 2001 through summer 2003.

So, I was somewhat surprised to see the house back on the market, and even more surprised to see the price: $595K. It looks like they new owners did quite a bit of work to it, but c'mon... I won't say what we got for it 32 months ago, but it wasn't even half the current selling price. I also notice that they still have snow in Connecticut:

Still, if anyone if moving to the Groton area and wants a house with a lot of submarine "history", you should take a look at it. What "history", you may ask? Well, in addition to once being owned by Idaho's first and foremost submarine blogger, it was owned before that by the Director of Naval Reactors; this resulted in one of the most perfect "set-up lines" in the history of Submarine Birthday Ball small talk.

So there I was... the first Sub Birthday Ball in Groton after the Jimmy Carter had manned up. I saw the new CO of my previous boat, USS Connecticut (SSN 22), so I went up to introduce myself to him. We started talking, and the new Connecticut XO came up, so the CO introduced him to me with the comment, from out of left field: "Here's my XO; he mixes with big wigs -- he almost bought Admiral Bowman's house!". The 22 XO (who I'd known before) then said: "Uh, Captain, Joel's the one who did buy the Bowman house." It was totally sweet...

Blog Admin note: Expect posting to be light this week; it's the last week of the wrestling regular season, so we've got three dual meets to go to this week, plus I've got a late meeting on the one free night I have. On the other hand, I did just snap some new "action" shots of Hercules molesting a blanket that you can look forward to on Friday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be an old picture of the house, Joel - we haven't had that much snow here since before Xmas.


RM1(SS) (ret)

2/08/2006 8:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No kidding...I think I own the garage....

2/08/2006 6:16 PM

 
Blogger Skippy-san said...

I don't even want to think how much it must have cost, it looks pretty big.

Must be the nuke money at work.......

2/09/2006 12:28 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Actually, I got it for right about $200K in 2001. It had been a rental for 15 years, though...

2/10/2006 12:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home