Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

♪♪♪ "And Here We Have Idaho..." ♪♪♪

News and notes from Idaho over the last couple of days:

1) The design for the Idaho state quarter that will come out next year was announced. As with most state quarters, most people don't seem to like the design; the current on-line poll at The Idaho Statesman is running 69.5% "don't like". Personally, I like the peregrine falcon, although I admit it's not the first thing that comes to one's mind when they think of Idaho. With respect to the announcement, I was especially impressed with how they were able to keep the public guessing about what the winning design would be; the finalists included "the Sawtooth mountains, a peregrine falcon and a farm scene", along with a stylized version of the state's name and script with the first two lines of the state song (excerpted in the title of this post). The fact that they scheduled the announcement to occur at the World Center for Birds of Prey didn't give anyone a clue as to which design was chosen, I'm sure. Anyway, here's what the quarter will look like:

As the Director of the Idaho Commission on Fine Arts said, "... at least it's not a potato".

2) The TV show "COPS" is coming to Boise. While southeastern Idaho might not strike most people as a hotbed of crime, I'm sure there will be plenty of guys with no shirts and visible ass-crack who they'll find to haul away in front of the cameras. Hopefully, it won't end up being like the scene in the classic Mormon comedy movie "The Singles Ward" where they imagined what "COPS" in Salt Lake City would look like: "Put down the casserole, and step away from the mini-van".

And, last but certainly not least...

3) The Rolling Stones are coming! In the penultimate show of this U.S. leg of their tour, the Stones will be performing on November 14th in the 11,000 seat Idaho Center in Nampa, just up I-84 from here. Now if only there was some way to let SubBasket know that I really want tickets to the show for my birthday...

Update -- Julie at Red State Rebels beat me to the post for both the state quarter and Rolling Stones news... but she didn't put musical notes in her titles, so I've got that going for me.

Update 0706 26 July: Edited to correct grammar and one embarrassing spelling error.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bubblehead said...

The people on the radio this morning were calling it the "pigeon quarter".

7/27/2006 12:34 AM

 
Blogger jeffox said...

I like the format of the Idaho coin, but I think a golden eagle would be a better choice than a perigrine falcon.

Not that I'm biased, :) but I think that the Minnesota quarter is the best so far. It has some guys out fishing and, if you look very closely, you can see that they have a pretty nice stringer of walleyes. Very, very Minnesotan.

There are some hurter quarters out there. For instance, the Wisconsin quarters have the state motto "Forward" on the back, and the word "Backward" on the front. :) And the Iowa quarter says 20c. :) :)

(No offense, anybody, but I just couldn't resist that)

7/27/2006 4:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home