Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Movie Review: "300"

Here's how the CNN review of "300" begins to sum up the movie:
Nevertheless, it's not so much the body count or even the blood lust that's disturbing. It's that the film, with its macho militarism, seems out of step in a war-weary time.
Big surprise there -- not! The mainstream press has been finding an "anti-war" message in all recent movies about war, even in "Letters From Iwo Jima" -- to me, the message in that film was "hopeles, pointless war is bad" rather than "all war is bad". "300", a graphic stylization of the Battle of Thermopylae, is just about the ultimate "guy movie" -- lots of limbs being hacked off and male bonding in a not-really-homoerotic way. The movie itself is visually stunning; it was almost entirely shot in front of a blue screen, with the backgrounds inserted digitally with a surreal color palette. (This Time magazine review has some of the details of how the movie was shot.) Here in Boise, the late showings on the digital screen were sold out before the early evening showing started -- it looks like the marketing plan worked pretty well for this film.

Bottom line -- if you're looking for a guy movie with lots of violence and some sick humor, "300" is a good choice. On the other hand, if you're looking for a realistic portrayal of ancient battles, try The History Channel. I give it 4 gratuitous decapitations out of 5.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I want to see if the hubby will take us to go see it this weekend. I love the style it's filmed in as well as a love of action and greek mythology. 300 is based off of a graphic novel from the same man that wrote Sin City, Frank Miller, I believe is his name.

3/10/2007 3:59 AM

 
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Is it not possibly for critics to just watch a movie for enjoyment anymore .. all these mediatypes who want to try and read so much into what, as you pointed out, should be a very fun movie, are just all wet .. I'l finally get to see it later today, and I can't wait

3/10/2007 4:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Lief's blog review of the movie, based on what a historian has to say, does the movie justice, I think. I have yet to see it, but I intend to, especially based on this review. And, of course, the "action".

Sadly, most libs don't get (or perhaps don't like) that the way this movie described war was there were good guys, and there were bad guys, and the good guys vanquished the bad against overwhelming odds. I don't know about you, but I like those kind of stories. And it's a true story, told in the original style. Gotta give Frank Miller props for that one. I've liked him ever since his "Batman: Year One" days

3/10/2007 5:57 PM

 
Blogger Miss Ladybug said...

The History Channel actually had a short program about "300" on the other night, talking about the making of the movie, Frank Miller's inspiration and what they were aiming for with the picture, and also discussing the battle from an historical perspective. I'm not a guy, but I want to see this movie. I'm getting an unexpected vacation this coming week (can't sub because of Spring Break, and my part-time job only scheduled me for the 17th...), so maybe I'll be able to go see it...

3/10/2007 8:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sonarman

I sure hope the irony of your comment isn't lost on yourself.

...but alas I'm sure it is...

3/12/2007 9:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home