Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Monday, November 12, 2007

Dinner Aboard PCU North Carolina

[Intel Source: The Sub Report] It looks like PCU North Carolina (SSN 777) has gone In-Service -- or is getting pretty close -- as shown by this picture of the crew having their first meal on board (steak and lobster):

The press release that came with the picture (which also includes a picture of the PCO with a cake) says that the sub will begin sea trials later this month, with delivery in December. That's a pretty aggressive schedule -- hopefully they'll make it with no problems. (It's normally 4 months from In-Service to Delivery.)

And as is always the case when a boat goes in service, the crew is, I'm sure, happy that they can eat that good submarine chow onboard, but even happier that Sea Pay finally starts.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much is sea pay for an E-5 these days? Do officers receive sea pay and sub pay?

Back in the 1970 as an E-4 with three years, my take home (including base pay, sea pay, sub pay, and BOQ) amounted to $317. That works out to a little over $10,000 per year. Considering that half of the year was spent at sea where it was difficult to spend money, and also that most of my food was paid for by the navy, I figure that I was earning close to $25,000 per year in 1970s dollars.

As a single guy in my early 20s, that seemed pretty good.

Birdie

11/12/2007 11:23 AM

 
Blogger reddog said...

Birdie, do the math again.

As an E-4 in the mid 70s, with less than 3 years in, no BOQ, I took home $240 a month. I think sea and sub pay added up to around $30/mo. I think it grossed out to around $3000/yr.

Eight bucks a day folding green in the old pocket. After you took out cigarettes, gedunk and beer machine expenses, toiletry and sundry items, it wasn't much to hit the beach with.

I didn't join the Navy to get rich, I'd do it again in a New York minute.

11/12/2007 4:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reddog,

I was on a boomer, mid-70s, out of Holy Lock, with off crews in Groton. Because of limited barrack space the navy paid even us single guys BEQ. Sub pay was about $25 and sea pay was about $8 every 15th and 30th. The only dollars withheld were for federal income tax.

Also, for some reason even unknown to me, I kept all my leave and earnings statements from my navy days. I have it here in black and white, $317 net pay on both the 15th and the 30th.

I did redo the math and realized I multiplied 317 times 26 pay periods instead of 24. Also, the $10,000 was gross, not net pay. After re-doing the math, I figure my TAKE HOME was $7,608 per year. Applying the same logic about being at sea half of the year and having most food paid for, I still felt pretty well off.

I'm not sure who's navy you were in Reddog, but based on your comment, it was a pretty cheap one. Maybe the Soviet navy?

Birdie

11/13/2007 11:26 AM

 
Blogger reddog said...

Did we get paid twice a month? Then I made twice as much as I remember.

11/13/2007 8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy have times changed!

As a Chief going to sea in 2005 (I retired last year) with Sub, Sea, and ANAV pay I was getting paid annually in the high 70's low 80's.

And yes, it wasn't worth it. I am glad to be retired and making some better money now.

Jim C.

11/14/2007 9:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home