Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Passing Of A Great Man

President Gordon B. Hinckley, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, passed away this evening of causes incident to age, surrounded by his family. He was 97. He was an amazing man, and a great leader of my Church. With his passing, leadership of the Church passes to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. By tradition, the next President of the Church will be Thomas S. Monson, a WWII Navy veteran.

I think I'll always remember the way President Hinckley was able to win over Mike Wallace in a 60 Minutes interview. But the thing that will stick in my mind until the day I die is the heart-warming eulogy he gave to his beloved wife. His words are timeless:
Before I married her, she had been the girl of my dreams, to use the words of a song then popular. She was my dear companion for more than two-thirds of a century, my equal before the Lord, really my superior. And now in my old age, she has again become the girl of my dreams.
Welcome to your rest, President Hinckley, and walk again into your wife's loving arms.

5 Comments:

Blogger MountainGoat said...

Indeed he was a great man.

1/28/2008 9:08 AM

 
Blogger Wordsmith said...

My sister has spoken highly of him. She said he had such a great respect for his wife and illustrated it his comments about wives being equal partners, etc. She often quotes from Mr. Hinckley.

1/28/2008 11:54 AM

 
Blogger esryle said...

I know of no better example to humanity. He will be missed by the faithful and the many lives he has touched during his tenure as Prophet and President of the LDS Church.

1/28/2008 1:14 PM

 
Blogger JBelle said...

Bubblehead, I had such respect and fondness for this man. I heard him speak in Spokane at the old Coliseum and was charmed and endeared as he began "I never met John Stockton and I never met Jesus Christ"....It went from there into a wonderful piece of hope and strength for all his people assembled there. We were so fortunate that our LDS friends had courage enough to include us! I am happy for him; so happy he is Glory with all whom he held closely. And despite his enormous legacy, I will miss hearing and seeing the latest from Gordon B. You've probably guessed that he struck many of the same notes our beloved John Paul II struck with us. I am thinking of you all and wish you the very best.

1/29/2008 6:38 PM

 
Anonymous online academic freelance writing sites said...

Nice post! Thanks for sharing.

1/25/2012 3:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home