Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, February 01, 2008

Movie Review: "There Will Be Blood"

I figured that since I'd already seen two of the movies nominated for "Best Picture" for the Oscars, I should try to see the other three so I can make a good decision about which one I think should win. So, I went tonight to see "There Will Be Blood", a story of a California oilman in the early 20th century.

Daniel Day-Lewis did an incredible job in the lead role; I'm sure he'll win the "Best Actor" Oscar, and deservedly so. The movie itself had long periods, including the first 5 minutes or so, with no real dialogue; this was a somewhat effective vehicle for introducing the character's motivations, although you never do learn why the main character hates everyone.

When I watch a period piece, I fully expect to feel like I've learned something about the era being portrayed. This film seemed to be fairly effective in covering, on a micro level, both California oil wildcatting and the early 1900s religious revival. The old towns, transportation, and living arrangements are what I'd always kind of imagined they'd look like, so I enjoyed them -- anything to reinforce my own worldview.

The movie was long, at almost three hours. I had to go to the bathroom about 2 1/2 hours in, during what I thought would make a good climatic "confrontation" scene with the faith healer who had earlier humiliated Day-Lewis' oilman. During my time away, I was wondering why the movie was titled as it was -- there hadn't been lots of unnecessary murders by a ruthless madman like I was expecting. When I made my way back to the theater, I figure something must have happened to make the audience mad; most of them had left, leaving behind only obnoxious teenagers. Even worse, someone had stolen my coat! Deciding to stick it out until the end, I was surprised to see that the movie had apparently jumped forward to the present day. In a very Kafkaesque plot twist, it appeared that they were showing the oilman's descendents, who were dressed as ancient Greeks Spartans for some reason, kicking pop culture icons into a huge pit. I guess that's where they got the "Blood" in the title from. I can see now how the movie got its "Best Picture" nomination; I know artsy Hollywood-types go for weirdness like that. I didn't stay around for the end, so I don't know what happened after that.

Overall, for the part I saw, I give it 3 Stereotypically-Violent Oil Gushers out of five.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh... You went into the wrong theater? Did you not go back for the end after investing two and a half hours?

Really?

2/02/2008 11:09 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

You know, that might explain it. It's a big multiplex, and it has a lot of theaters that all look the same, so I may have gotten a tiny bit confused coming out of the bathroom...

2/02/2008 12:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. Seriously. Really?

Or maybe it was Carmen Electra's couch-politicking scene and somebody had left the door open to the theater next to the men's room?

2/02/2008 10:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the blog is "the stupid will be punished"....and you ACTUALLY saw a majority of THERE WILL BE BLOOD....then went the the bathroom and returned to MEET THE SPARTANS and thought it was the SAME FREAKING MOVIE?? You really have to be kidding. Please. Otherwise the punishment is your own.

2/04/2008 7:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez, don't you think you should remove this blog entry where you admit to being such a doofus? Good lord....

2/05/2008 5:59 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

And here I thought a post about a "movie reviewer" who couldn't tell the difference between and Oscar-nominated film and a bad spoof film would appeal to those who appreciate absurdity...

2/05/2008 11:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one, dude. The key to a good spoof is when people actually wonder whether it could be true.

2/06/2008 9:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ever notice how this guy takes well to the overbearing, violent father-figure role -- he also did this in Gangs of New York.

3/27/2008 9:56 AM

 
Anonymous muebles en granada said...

So, I don't actually suppose this may have success.

10/24/2011 12:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home