Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Monday, July 18, 2005

USS Jimmy Carter Picture Slideshow

The Sub Report has a link to this great series of 12 pics of my last boat, USS Jimmy Carter (SSN 23). The pictures are associated with a new article in Popular Mechanics on the "Spy Sub of the Future". In the seventh picture in the slideshow, you can see the mast housings on the sail, as well as the plug that's aft of the Weapon's Shipping Hatch. Cool stuff!

And yes, I finally finished the new Harry Potter book. Now just have to wait for everyone in the house to finish it so we can discuss it...

4 Comments:

Blogger Vigilis said...

re: 3 of 12 - What's with the green life preservers for deckhands vs. usual "international orange" for the fairwater crew?

7/18/2005 9:24 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I'm not sure; they hadn't come up with them the last time I went to sea, but I see them also in this picture of Topeka.

7/18/2005 11:32 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

It's really tough to get the photographer down there and have him close enough to take the picture, and yet be sure the sub won't hit them. Here's a pic of USS Chicago submerged, taken from overhead.

7/19/2005 10:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is Navy, currently on the USS Alexandria.

His CO is pushing him to go to the Jimmy Carter instead of shore duty at prototype, so he can further his career.

I hear nothing but bad things about husbands going to that boat. That it goes out a lot, they're never home, lots of work...

Any opinions or information I can give my husband?
I'd follow him where ever, no matter what.. but the boat he's on now goes out a lot. If he goes to one that goes out even MORE.. I can imagine it would really put a strain on things.

9/09/2009 5:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home