Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Happy Birthday, Marines!

Today being the 230th birthday of the Marine Corps, I thought I'd share some of my favorite quotes by and about Marines:

"Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there." (Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak, USMC, April 1965.)

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, 1962.)

"Retreat Hell! We're just attacking in another direction." (Attributed to Major General Oliver P. Smith, USMC, Korea, December 1950.)

"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!" (Captain Henry P. "Jim" Crowe, USMC, Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943.)

"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?" (Attributed to Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood, June 1918.)

"So they've got us surrounded, good! Now we can fire in any direction, those b*****ds won't get away this time!"CHESTY PULLER, USMC

I used to get frustrated with the Marine Corps staff officers I worked with at CENTCOM -- they seemed to be the biggest believers in the "Stay in your lane" philosophy of staff work (I always noted that on a submarine, we call that mindset "dereliction of duty"). Still, if I had to pick a group to reach an objective the needed to be reached, I'd choose the Marines.

Semper Fi!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed the classic:
"The only good marine is a submarine!"

11/11/2005 2:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home