Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, November 10, 2005

"Imagine All... The Pe-puh-ull"

A reader sent in a link to a story about another submarine veteran in the Boise area, but I don't think I've met this guy at any SubVets meetings:

"Scarbrough doesn't necessarily fit the anti-war profile: he's neither an idealistic kid nor a battle-scarred combat vet. At 51 years old, Scarbrough spent five years in the Navy during the Cold War, four of them aboard a "fast attack" nuclear submarine patrolling Cold War hot spots in the Pacific. He says he didn't have the combat experience of being surrounded by horrific acts and being asked to commit them, but he did have an epiphany of sorts while he was serving. He realized that he didn't want to be part of anything where he could push a button and blow up the world, either by accident or under orders. Of this realization Scarbrough says, "I'm sure it wasn't as strong for me as a guy who saw his friend's head blown off," but it was enough."

Dude, if you're able to push a button and blow up the world as an enlisted coner on an attack boat, you've really screwed up.

Scarbrough waxes philosophical at the end of the article:

"War monuments show the respect and honor the fallen deserve, but they also show that we haven't learned anything," Scarbrough says. Society glorifies war, he explains, but he wants to make people realize the reality of combat is very different. Some people go to war and have epiphanies, and some realize that they enjoy killing--"it can work both ways"--but either way, people come back changed. "I wish we could never build another monument," he says. "My goal would be to have a veteran-less world."

And then we could love everyone around the world, and they'd love us, and we'd all be so happy... I used to think that, too, but then the Demerol wore off, and all I had was a dull ache where my wisdom teeth used to be.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First he says he never experienced combat, then he tells us how combat changes a person. He's not very good at maintaining his own credibility.

RM1/SS

11/10/2005 6:12 AM

 
Blogger WillyShake said...

As I've said before--paraphrasing Patton: A society that is unable to honor its warriors, those who must kill to defend our liberty, is doomed.

Like you, Bubblehead, I see glimpses of things I used to believe, but have matured, I think, from that naivete.

Btw, I love the Lennon reference in your title--I knew *immediately* what you were alluding to. Hilarious. Everybody thinks that's greatest song--personally, I find it depressing and repulsive. *shrugs* Maybe it's just me.

11/10/2005 6:27 AM

 
Blogger loddfafnir said...

I like the wisdom teeth reference, I got Tylox myself.

11/10/2005 2:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With legions of jihadists declaring holy war against our way of life, this guy seems quite out of place. As long as guns (and hijacked airplanes, suitcase nuclear bombs, etc) are pointed at us, then we retain the need and responsibility to defend ourselves and our children. I have no patience for crackpots who bask in the blessings of freedoms won by others and then choose to abuse their freedom of speech in such a manner. Couldn't the Boise press produce a more honorable story in the run up to Veteran's Day?

11/10/2005 6:58 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

The Boise Weekly is the local "alternative" newspaper; the real newspaper did a much better job. As far as "Imagine", it's gotta be on my list of my 10 Least Favorite Songs (right next to "You Light Up My Life").

11/11/2005 11:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent a lot of time (23 patrols) on FBM's. My take on the button as a missile control center watchstander over a large part of those partols is, if your enemy believes he is going to get annihilated he is less likely to attack you. But they have to believe it. Naming a sub Jimmy Carter has not helped our image as steely eyed killers of the deep.
FTCS/SS (ret)

11/13/2005 12:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home