Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Warrantless COMINT

A hue and cry is being raised throughout the land over the recent disclosure by the New York Times about President Bush authorizing interception of communications between the U.S. and overseas. Michelle Malkin has most of the pertinent information; some people are claiming that this warrants impeachment. While it's understandable that people will debate whether this is right or wrong, people who are claiming that President Bush was operating with a reckless disregard for the law are just plain wrong, IMHO.

As President Bush himself pointed out today, the required people in Congress were informed about the program. If I remember right, for this type of "black" program, at a minimum the Intelligence committee chairman and vice chairman of both the House and the Senate (this would make a total of two Republicans and two Democrats for those keeping score) are briefed. If these people don't like the program, they have the power to do what needs to be done to stop it, if they're so inclined. Additionally, the Justice Department provides continuing legal reviews of programs of this type. This isn't Watergate -- it looks like all the hoops were jumped through to get this program up and running. And remember -- this isn't spying on people arranging trysts with their neighbor; it was overseas communications with people who were strongly suspected of associating with Al Qaeda. Sure, it has the potential for abuse, but from what I've heard so far, they tried to keep it as closely controlled as possible.

I just hope that people don't go off and start complaining about us intercepting communications overseas... that could put a lot of people I know out of business.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Don't you just love the media? I'm not too happy about the thought of this kind of stuff happening (even though I'm not American, it's still not something I totally agree with) but I think the government should do whatever is necessary to protect it's people, even if it has the potential for abuse.

Also, one has to remember that if the ressources-which were available-had not been used, and something happened, (ie, another 9/11-type event) the government would have been pointed at as not having done enough.

Yet another one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" things, I guess.

12/17/2005 12:50 PM

 
Blogger Skippy-san said...

I guess the key issue is not whether Bush observed all the legal propieties or not, its that people believe that he would try to spy on me arranging my tryst with my big breasted neighbor.......

That's the real point, is that people can believe Bush is capable of subverting civil liberties to accomplish his own agenda. I know I believe he is capable of it.....

As for impeaching Bush well that is a liberal fantasy. To really impeach him they are going to need a lot smarter leadership then they have today...and what purpose would it serve? To give Cheney a shot? God forbid.

Too bad old George W. doesn't drink anymore, and sadly I can't picture him knocking the bottom out of an intern.......so we are stuck with him for 3 more long years.......

And that is one of the reasons I continue to live overseas......

12/17/2005 6:54 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Skippy -- That's the thing; lots of people believe it, based on no real information other than "Bush is evil". I might be unsophisticated and naïve, and spend too much time laughing at Democratic Underground, but I really don't see Bush and his cronies sitting around the Oval Office, talking about how they can figure out which guy in Butte is banging the babysitter. I see them talking about how they can get re-elected -- and now, how they can get someone who will rehire those aides elected.
True, if you look at what Bush is doing, I suppose everything could be twisted to "he wants to control every aspect of our lives"; or, it could be looked at as "he's looking for ways to keep terrorist attacks from happening again". You've got your explanation, I've got mine.

12/18/2005 8:47 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Subsunk,
I thought I had ascribed noble intentions to the Administration: my choice of the two I presented was the last one. I really liked the vision that President Bush showed in the year and a half after 9/11 (including extending the GWOT to Iraq) -- I'm just not as impressed by the follow-through (i.e good strategy, bad tactics). As far as having smart people work for him, I used to think that too, until I worked on the major staff. I didn't work with the appointees, but I worked with the level right under them, and from what I got from them, the bosses weren't exactly the "sharpest hammers in the bag" when it came to understanding how the world really worked; not that the appointees from the previous eight years were any better...
For Skippy, I hope that he will consider that there's another choice for why the Democratic leaders in Congress who were briefed signed off on the plan, other than those proposed by this DU poster: maybe they understood that this program was important in preventing future attacks in the U.S.

12/18/2005 4:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home