Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, February 18, 2006

USS Sante Fe Returns Home

Good story on the Navy web site about USS Sante Fe (SSN 763) returning home last week (Feb 9th) from an IO deployment. During the deployment, she participated in the Exercise Malabar 2005 with the Indian Navy, which was the biggest U.S.-Indian bilat to date.

One interesting tidbit in the article did catch my eye -- in addition to talking about "CNO-directed missions" the article claims that Sante Fe was "the first submarine to cross (the)Andaman Sea submerged". I suppose that's possible, but I'm skeptical. The Andaman Sea goes from the end of the Straits of Malacca out to the Andaman Islands. Many submarines do go through the Straits on the surface (we did on Topeka back in '92) but I seem to remember submerging before we entered the Andaman Sea on our way to the Gulf, and many other subs have taken the same route. I suppose it's possible that Sante Fe just submerged earlier...

In any event, it looks like the officers and crew of USS Sante Fe did a great job on their deployment, and hopefully they'll have a good time back home.

Bell-ringer 2238 18 Feb: Chap calls me out on my spelling of USS Santa Fe, so I did some research. SubPac has used both spellings; "Sante Fe" here, and "Santa Fe" on the more "official" boat page. It also has the ship's seal there, which spells it "Santa". Undersea Warfare magazine uses both spellings in this "Downlink". To figure out the real answer, I went to the Naval Vessel Register website, and saw that they used the Clausian spelling. Additionally, the official city website for Santa Fe, New Mexico, uses "Santa", so I suppose that's the right answer.

In my defense, the article I originally linked, from navy.mil, used "Sante" in the body of the story (but not the title); additionally, I'm an Engineer, so I can be excused for not knowing how to spell.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chap said...

Dude.

San-TAH fay. Santa. Like Santa Claus, and for the same reason.

Good boat, actually. I did Malabar 96; it was a wild ride. Sitting there watching guys in sandals move a helicopter underway...yikes.

2/18/2006 10:18 PM

 
Blogger Chap said...

WWR(ickover)D?

It's clear that the boat doesn't do PA well, and the CSP LCDR could use a little pedantic suggestion to educate the JO3.

They screwed up the name all the time when I was at that homeport. That kind of error is dumb since it disses the home city.

Freaking guys likely know the entire flow through the reactor vessel, but can't spell the name of the ship. Or point to the torpedo interlocks, I bet...

2/20/2006 9:00 AM

 
Blogger Chap said...

It's clear that the boat doesn't do PA well

It's clear I overgeneralize and impugn unnecessarily. Pardon the impoliteness; no offense intended to the guy doing Santa Fe PA.

2/20/2006 9:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home