Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, February 10, 2007

I Like New Coins And I Cannot Lie...

The Bubblehead family has had a good time collecting the 50 State Quarters (although we're having a hard time getting the ones from the Philadelphia mint out here in Idaho), so I was excited to hear about the new "Presidential $1 Coins" that were coming out this month. According to this article in USA Today, the official launch date of the first coin in the series, with George Washington on the "heads" side, is going to be February 15th.

That's why I was surprised when my youngest son showed me a coin he had gotten in change at his school cafeteria today. Here are the two coins he got:

That's the new Washington dollar on the left. As advertised, it's about the same size as the Sacagawea on the right, but it seems a little more "silvery" -- although that might be just because it's not tarnished at all. One unique thing about it is that it has the year and mint mark, "E Pluribus Unum" and "In God We Trust" printed on the edge of the coin.

At first I was wondering a bit how it got out of the Federal Reserve 6 days early; I thought, "Maybe I should sell it on E-Bay." Then I actually looked on E-Bay... I guess the "launch date" is more of a PR thing. Still, it's a nice coin, and hopefully it'll get the American public to accept the concept of the dollar coin.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I remember when I used to waitress, a lot of the times I'd get dollar coins as part of my tips. Or sometimes people would give them to me as quarters at the cash register and I had to explain to them the difference. I think it would be cool if dollar coins would become wide use, but I doubt it would happen.

2/10/2007 1:21 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't help but notice the title of this...post? (I'm new to blogging so I'm not sure of the terminology) was a pun of "I Like Big Butts". I figure everyone gets one post title based on that song, and you used yours
on February 18 of last year!

I'm calling you out bubblehead!

(As an aside, great blog here. Lots of cool stuff to read about.)

P.S.
My attempt at humor. If it fails miserably, you'll know why I don't have a blog of my own. That, and I really don't have anything to talk about.

2/10/2007 5:54 PM

 
Blogger Miss Ladybug said...

Well, the Sacagawea coin wasn't ever silver in color to begin with, so that's not tarnish. I decided to look up the specifics on the U.S. Mint website, and they actually refer to it as the "Golden Dollar". It's mostly copper.

I've been collecting the 50 state quarters, too. I did okay getting the Philadelphia mint coins because I would travel for work, to many east coast states. But, I haven't been with that job for over two years now, and. we mostly see Denver mint coins here in Texas

2/10/2007 6:05 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Kris,
That's a fair point, but it could be that I have a tradition of always posting a "I Like..." post once every February, and you just noticed on the 2nd time :-)

2/10/2007 10:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home