Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Submariner's Nephew Running For Congress

[Local Idaho politics warning!]
As I've said before, Idaho seems to be basically a one-party state, and I'm not so sure that's a good thing. I mentioned earlier that I was thinking of registering as a Democrat here; when it came time to actually do it, however, I couldn't pull the trigger -- most of the liberals who dared make public pronouncements seemed to be tin-foil hatters crayoning Letters to the Editor.

I'm getting a little worried about the upcoming Congressional election in my district, though. The incumbent is running for Governor, and the most well-known person in a six-way Republican race is this obnoxious guy whose whole platform seems to be based on "them darn Mexicans -- they took our jobs". On the off-chance he wins the primary, I decided to go see what the Democrats had to offer. They had one candidate with a web site; plus, he even had a campaign blog! "This might be fun", I thought gleefully. (Actually, I went into the experience with an axe to grind; based on no actual data or research, I think I might have the most visited Idaho-based weblog. The newspaper had mentioned that the webmistress of the candidate's blog got 1,000 visitors a day to her home website; I had to see if this was true... and if it was, to mock and belittle her, since that's what I do.)

Anyway, I found the blog entry with the most easily mocked statement about Iraq, and submitted a comment. (For those who want to avoid clicking the links: The webmistress posted a snarky comment that basically asked: if Saddam was so bad, why didn't Reagan or Papa Bush take him out, with a link to a "Rumsfeld visited Iraq in the 80s" article. I asked if this meant that the candidate would have supported an American invasion of Iraq during that time.)

I figured my comment would get deleted; lo and behold, both the webmistress and the candidate answered, with thoughtful remarks. Found out that the candidate had an uncle who served in submarines in WWII, so he's got that going for him. While the candidate weblog is pretty left wing, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, and assuming that he's only playing to the most likely primary voters (all 1,000 or so really liberal Idahoans) and will turn out to be a normal guy if he gets the nomination. (He used to be a big-wig at a mainstream local company with which I've been very familiar for the last 9 months, so it seems that he couldn't be too extreme.)

Oh... and I don't think the website I feared gets anywhere near 1,000 hits a day, but it's certainly more professional and better designed than my site, notwithstanding the faintly moonbattish glow and linkage to my one-time nemesis BinkyBoy...

Going deep...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home