Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Restore The Order

I'm a conservative, which generally means I get uncomfortable when the established order is overturned. For me, the main constant when I was growing up was that the Nebraska football would always dominate every conference opponent that wasn't Oklahoma. This especially included Colorado.

Lately, though, the established order has been overturned. After NU won 18 consecutive games against CU during my formative years, Colorado won a few games in the late 80s and early 90s, but then we turned around and won 9 straight. During the last four years, though, it's like the world has turned upside down: Colorado had beaten us three of those four years.

I didn't expect much out of today's game. Nebraska was a 16 point underdog on the road, and wasn't really playing for anything other than maybe a "better" bowl game. Colorado, on the other hand, needed the win to clinch the Big 12 North title. I figured that our "West Toast offense" would find a way to throw enough interceptions that we'd lose easily.

Shows you what I know. The Boys in Red showed that they have the heart, character, and skill to lay a traditional beat-down on the Buffalos, winning 30-3 in a game that wasn't really that close. Outgaining the Buffs 497-212 was the way it should be -- and tonight I don't even mind that 392 of the yards were through the air. The best thing I saw, though, was the players showing off the "Restore The Order" T-shirts the coaching staff had given them when the game was done. This shows me that the new coaching staff is maybe starting to realize that Nebraska tradition means something.

Another thing that was the same was the behavior of the Colorado crowd:

"With just more than 10 minutes left in the game, Sections 115 and 116 of the CU student section were asked to leave the stadium after continually throwing bottles, tennis balls, and even golf balls, onto the field.
“They probably felt the same frustration that all of us felt today and they just had some things they could throw,” said Colorado coach Gary Barnett. “They’re just a microcosm of what we were feeling inside as well and we just couldn’t do anything about it.”

The University of Colorado, previously best know for whackjob professor Ward Churchill and rioting over not being able to drink underage, now gets national attention for having idiotic fans. Good for them!

And for those who were wondering: Yes, I still thing NU Athletic Director Satan should be fired. Had we not scrapped the option for a passing offense, we probably would have won 51-3.

Going deep...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the hopes that you have and maybe the thoughts that the team has adapted to the left coast offensive. 1 game does not make a season, or a #1 team. Loosing to the Jayhawks this year has really put a slump in alot of things.
We will watch and see if there is a difference in the team, my hopes are there, but I think this was a rare sign of hope in the team and a sign they are tired of losing. Remember, morale is a big difference in the outcome of what you want my friend.
Maybe NU will adaptively switch to the left coast offensive, and make it work, we shall see.

11/26/2005 3:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coach Callahan was very emotional after the game. Is it possible he may be getting acclimiated to Nebraska football?? Great game. Re the option: one of the plays in the game (it gained 3 yards) was an option. We all loved it. Defense was outstanding. What more can this babbling fan say? Order has indeed been restored...

11/26/2005 10:12 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I'm having a hard time figuring out who to root for in the KU-ISU game today. While I'd like to see my alma mater go to a bowl game, I'd like to see CU shut out of the Big 12 Championship game. I'll probably end up rooting for the Jayhawks, though.

11/26/2005 11:00 AM

 
Anonymous Cheap RS Gold said...

this is just too cool for words! :)
great job!

7/13/2012 1:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home