Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Waiting On The CPO Results

The last two years, the Navy issued the Chief Petty Officer select messages on 28 July; this year, that date came and went without a word. Does anyone know what's holding up this year's CPO announcement?

Anyway, when the results are announced, there will be lots of prospective submarine Chiefs who are going to be looking for the lyrics to The Submarine Song ("Submarines once, submarines twice..."). As always, I'll be happy to provide them to the young Sailors who somehow got their dolphins without having to learn the secret chant of our brotherhood. Here's part of what I wrote last year, for those who aren't familiar with the brilliance -- nay, the sublime perfection -- that is The Submarine Song:
"Q3. Do you know the words to The Submarine Song? You know, the one that starts "Submarines once, submarines twice..."
A3. Yes, I do know the words, including both versions of the second verse. No, I will not put it on this blog. Some submarine secrets are so sacred that we can't run the risk of letting them out to the general public. Now, if you are a submariner who's forgotten the words, and would like me to send them to you, just drop me a note at the address [in my profile], along with your sub qual history and enough submarine-specific jargon to let me know you're the real thing. Indicate if you want me to include the second verse. (Warning: The second verse of the Submarine song is obscene, disgusting, and disturbing on so many levels.) Fair warning to Googlers: This is not the Submarine Song. Neither is this, although it's actually pretty good...
...and no, this little ditty, sung to the tune of "The Green Berets", isn't the Submarine Song either:
'Silver Dolphins on their chest,
These are men, America's best;
One hundred men, she'll have today,
But only three, the normal way.' "
Just E-mail me at joel(dot)bubblehead(at)gmail(dot)com and include enough submarine-specific slang so that I know you're really a submariner, and I'll get the lyrics out to you as soon as I can. As I've said before: "It's only fun singing The Submarine Song until someone gets hurt... and then it's hilarious, if the hurt person is a skimmer."

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Results will be out to COs tomorrow (Wednesday). Notification to everyone else to follow, of course.

8/01/2006 5:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, thats what I heard too. Im retiring in 29 days, so I dont think Ill join in the training (Im on terminal leave). Its going to be tame even compared to the last two evolutions.

PS Im sending you the lyrics to the Sub Song, BH, as written on a wall in a bar called One For The Road in Olongapo City :-)

8/01/2006 6:40 PM

 
Blogger bothenook said...

Eng, you are friggin' killing me here.

8/01/2006 10:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's some song lyrics for you... don't know where they came from so if anybdy knows please give the appropriate credit.

There are no submariners down in Hell,
(down in Hell)
Oh there are no submariners down in Hell,
(down in Hell)
The place is full of queers, surface pukes and engineers,
But there are no submariners down in Hell
(down in Hell).

Obviously that doesn't include submarine engineering types, so don't get your undies in a bunch. But if you did... HA HA GOTCHA!

8/02/2006 12:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just a skimmer puke STG2, but I have allways had great RESPECT for all in the Silent Service.I have enjoyed reading your Blog for quite a while. I could have faked a bunch of slang or jargon to get you to send me the lyrics, but that would be dishonorable. Would you please send them to me anyway? Pretty Please? Unkawill@ev1.net

8/02/2006 5:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I want to know both versions of the second verse...I'm an a-ganger on the USS Georgia. MM3/SS type and my doc told me I need to hear it but I got to find it somewhere. my email is ahab.the.arab18@gmail.com so if you can send it to me I would appreciate it! Don't know what else kinda jargin you wanna hear but I know it all! Also I wanna make it to where the nubs have to learn it before I give them the diesel checkout!

3/24/2009 6:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chant...so proud, so Navy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewzGCRkJ_Ro

6/17/2009 8:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am a newly qualified submariner on the USS 715 buffalo my seadad transferred when i was a nub so i became a seaorphan never learned it all the way i am a plansmen and working on belowdecks and aef i got my dalphins on sep 7 2010 on are last underway i got pined on the brige.my e-mail is rafi_minztile_perez@yahoo.com

11/13/2010 3:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the last poster, your boat still has an AEF? All boats should be qualifying LTOW's instead by now...

2/06/2011 10:37 PM

 
Blogger fishcrazed145 said...

Im looking for the alternate second verse for the submarine song plz help email me at barton.corey@yahoo.com im an MT3 on the USS WEST VIRGINIA 736 (g). Qualified in submarines, mcrp, pood, tsrp, working on camp, and bdw.

6/30/2011 8:40 PM

 
Blogger fishcrazed145 said...

Im looking for the alternate second verse for the submarine song plz help email me at barton.corey@yahoo.com im an MT3 on the USS WEST VIRGINIA 736 (g). Qualified in submarines, mcrp, pood, tsrp, working on camp, and bdw.

6/30/2011 8:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was a plankowner on the '689 red stick' (74-79)wired the explosive bolts for remote detonation. i'm a nuc not a noseconer. a-gang friend of mine challenged me to resite the submarine song. my memory has failed me. please help and send a copy to me at 'artworkwood@yahoo.com'

10/05/2011 8:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous MM3 off the 729....
Dia,
That's a checkout for the history and traditions, not the Diesel. Diesel should be difficult enough without other submarine knowledge thrown in.
If you want to do teh Submarine song, get permission fromt the COB to do his History and Traditions checkout.
Not Respectfully (you filthy wrenchturner),
-Goodie
Radioman of the LOC

10/13/2011 3:01 AM

 
Anonymous site said...

I found a great deal of helpful info here!

7/30/2012 9:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a MT3/ss type on the west va ssbn 736 I was also a sea orphan when I was a nub cuz my sea dad transferred when i made it to walkthrough and nuke crap so my lpo is havin me find the submarine song and it'd be awesome if I could get both versions the email is tyler.collier66@yahoo.com

8/04/2012 8:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home